Phantasy Star Complete Collection: Dalos

A new Phantasy Star image added to the site three days a week!

Dalos

Dalos

View Gallery Page

Phantasy Star Complete Collection: Dalos

Postby Thoul » Wed Feb 1, '12, 12:02 am

An android once in the service of Queen Alis Landale, the heroine of Phantasy Star, Dalos is a playable character in Phantasy Star Gaiden. Following Alis' entrance into cryogenic suspension, Dalos was corrupted by an evil power and became Didalos. As a servant of dark forces, Didalos oppressed the people living on the colony world founded by Alis. After Minina and her friends freed him from this evil influence, the restored Dalos joined their quest. Unlike most male styled androids in the series, Dalos filled the role of a melee fighter, cutting through opponents with a deadly axe.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Phantasy Star Complete Collection: Dalos

Postby Tanith » Wed Feb 1, '12, 5:11 pm

I really like his design. :) There's not really anything about him that's similar to any other character in the classic PS series.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby myau56 » Wed Feb 1, '12, 8:53 pm

I'm more cautious about this design : I'm not a big fan of it but it's not too bad.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby newsblade » Wed Feb 1, '12, 10:57 pm

I think his design is a little odd.
He is an android that can transform into a pink car (pink is Queen Arisa's favourite colours). Ok, I can take that, because Searren from PSIII can also transform into several vehicles. Maybe this one is a prototype of those 386 androids.

The odd thing about this one are his clothes: he wears an helmet and a cape. The cape is completely rotten now. Everything else is similar to the other androids, who wear no clothes (they simply wear nothing, but this one does).

On the previous image of the day his cape was pink and his helmet had a pink feather (or is it his hair coming out from the centre of his helmet?). In this picture they seem brown, but I believe the accurate colors are the ones on the cover, because this android, Dalos, is (or was - 471 years prior to this game, in Parma) Queen Arisa's royal and personal guard and so, his official armor is probably pink. Maybe if he took off all those royal accessories he would look like the others. Who knows.

Edit: He uses axes, just like Odin. Odin, like Alis seam to be referenced as a legend right at the beginning. For nothing...? Why would the game reference him? Although very doubtfully, maybe the original idea was turning him into this android (while Alis was also prolonging her life, but in another way), but was later scrapped. - In any case, Dalos somehow replaces Odin as a guard or bodyguard. On the other hand Lutz and Myau were (oddly) never mentioned.
Last edited by newsblade on Wed Feb 1, '12, 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 34

Postby Thoul » Thu Feb 2, '12, 2:51 am

His upper arms are colored differently on the cover, also. Here they're golden, but the cover has them gray. I kind of think this picture just might be the corrupted version of the character. This same picture was labeled as Didalos in the Sega Video Game Illustrations book. So maybe his colors change from this appearance to the cover appearance when he is repaired and becomes a good guy again.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby myau56 » Thu Feb 2, '12, 8:45 am

So in Phantasy Star gaiden (I just started to play the english translated rom), I know we have an apparition of Alisa in person,but is there some references to the other PSI characters ? As I see in the posts above, is there a reference to Odin/Tylon ? (an explicit one) No trace of Lutz and Myau ?
(About Odin, I was always a bit sad to see few ties to him in all the following Phantasy Stars...)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby newsblade » Thu Feb 2, '12, 6:54 pm

His upper arms are colored differently on the cover, also. Here they're golden, but the cover has them gray. I kind of think this picture just might be the corrupted version of the character. This same picture was labeled as Didalos in the Sega Video Game Illustrations book. So maybe his colors change from this appearance to the cover appearance when he is repaired and becomes a good guy again.

That makes sense and maybe that's the real explanation.

As I see in the posts above, is there a reference to Odin/Tylon ? (an explicit one) No trace of Lutz and Myau ?
(About Odin, I was always a bit sad to see few ties to him in all the following Phantasy Stars...)

Tylon/Tyrone/Odin was a hero to Aleck and Minina. Apparently, the events of PS1 game story became a legend and, surprisingly, this time around it seams that the importance of Myau and Lutz is omitted. Things like that happens all the time - for instance, in PSIV, in Termi, the main heroes from LaShiec's demise were only Alis and a cat. In any case, both young heroes learn the PS1 legend through Minina's adoptive father (the Elder of the village of Tedo).

"Now, it's AW813, a time of growing unrest. Aleck and Minina are two youths from Tedo Village, who revere the legend of Alisa and Odin, as told by the elder who raised Minina, an orphan."

I always wondered why would they reference Odin at the beginning of the game if he never appears nor mentioned ever again. Even a little reference like the appearance of a laconian axe would be enough... but no. There's actually some "Psycho wand", "Frade Mantle" and "Persesus Shield" in the game, but no "Laconian Axe". The only laconian pieces are the items from PSI that now belong to Alis.

I imagine he temporary replaced Alis on her duties as ruler or in military strategy while she left to Copto... and that he also would be dead by now. Where would he be? Maybe in Palma (or Dezolis if we believe that the "The glorious man who used to fight to save Algo is buried here." from PSII refers to Odin - however, it could be a bad translation and a reference to Lutz or even Alis herself which in latter games appears to be).

In any case, this fan translation is limited and has many problems that influenced the game experience for worse. The ending is also altered - the real ending is here - http://www.sceneryrecalled.com/trans/psgtwist.txt

Here's the translation of the manual: http://www.sceneryrecalled.com/trans/psgmanl.txt

What I never understood about this game was "Aresaland" and "Copto".
Is "Aresaland" the name of the planet or the name of a conquered region of a planet?
Was Copto the name its sun and solar system were the story takes place?
Was copto the name of the planet?

Does anyone know this?
ImageImage
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 34

Postby Thoul » Wed Feb 8, '12, 12:03 am

My understanding has been that Aresaland (or Alisaland, as we used to think it was called back then) is the world and Copto was a star. I suppose it's possible that Copto and Aresaland are both names for the planet, just as our planet is known as both Terra and Earth.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby myau56 » Fri Feb 10, '12, 12:18 pm

I don't want to read a lot about Phantasy Star Gaiden as I'm currently playing it in english...Bu I'll read all those messages later with a lot of joy !
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby enigmaopoeia » Fri Feb 10, '12, 6:17 pm

Copto is written as コプト星 [Koputo Sei, Copto]. 星 [Sei] means "planet", as shown in the word 水星 [Suisei, Mercury]. This game also uses the spelling アルゴル星 [Arugoru Sei, Algol], パルマ星 [Paruma Sei, Palma], モタビア星 [Motabia Sei, Motavia], and デゾリス星 [Dezorisu Sei, Dezoris].

As for Aresaland, it is written as 植民星アレサランド [Shokumin Sei Aresarando] meaning "the colony, Aresaland". This word was also used to describe Terra Nova from Star Trek [植民星テラ・ノヴァ]. Colony is described as, "a group of people who leave their native country to form in a new land a settlement subject to, or connected with, the parent nation."

I hope this may answer some questions as to what Copto and Aresaland are.
~ enigmaopoeia
enigmaopoeia
Hunter
Hunter

Achievements: 33

Next

Return to Featured Images