Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 

Carbon Vest

Carbon Vest

View Gallery Page

PostPosted: Wed Aug 8, '12, 12:05 am 
An unfortunate element in many video games is the presentation of equippable gear for women in a style that makes those items appear inferior to the counterpart items used by men. Sadly, Phantasy Star II does not follow the footsteps of its predecessor, which famously broke from such concepts in the depiction of women in games. We can see a clear example of that in this manual illustration for the Carbon Vest, a torso protector for the female characters. The male counterpart, the Carbon Suit, has the same defensive statistics - but it is a full jacket, covering everything from waist to neck to wrists. It's a stark difference from the heavy armor and shields Alis used.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 8, '12, 11:00 am 
Pretty, but not very protective. On the other hand, it sounds like the suit for the guys is very protective. This sounds like a form of discrimination to me.....and I can only imagine where that could lead. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 8, '12, 7:08 pm 
Lol, PS1 was directed by a woman while this one was directed by a man. (I think)
In this case I don't think it matters, because they all die anyway.

Just kidding. I think it has to do with agility. Man usually can stand more weight than women (maybe if a women is that strong it might have less feminine visual). I say "usually" because in these games generally the male characters use physical attacks while female characters use protective spells.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 8, '12, 11:37 pm 
Anna: That is the ugliest vest I have ever seen in my entire life.
Shir: I dunno! I think it looks pretty cute!
Anna: That color is the color ugly. I'm not wearing it, and if Rolf buys it for me I'm throwing it off a cliff the first chance I get.
Amy: But you might look good in pink, Anna...
Anna: I prefer something with armor. That is a very flimsy carbonfiber vest that's going to get torn apart by a Locusta. If whoever's wearing it is lucky, they won't be torn apart with the vest.
Shir: Let's get Hugh to wear it and see if he survives! XD
Hugh: ;_;

PostPosted: Wed Aug 8, '12, 11:42 pm 
Nice outfit :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 9, '12, 5:43 pm 
Interesting thoughts newsblade and enjoyed reading your comments! :yes:

And, Snorb, oh no, poor Hugh once again! :lol: Enjoyed reading that too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, '12, 10:41 pm 
Poor Hugh again : what did he do to you Snorb ? ;)

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]