Phantasy Star Complete Collection: Needler

A new Phantasy Star image added to the site three days a week!

Needler

Needler

View Gallery Page

Phantasy Star Complete Collection: Needler

Postby Thoul » Wed Jan 11, '12, 12:07 am

The needler weapons, as presented in the Japanese Phantasy Star III manual, may be the most surprising design to those who have not seen them previously. Back in the original Phantasy Star, the Needle Gun was a useful item that most would picture as a small pistol that launches darts at foes. There were similar items in Phantasy Star Online and even the English Phantasy Star III manual describes needlers in such a way. The Japanese manual, however, does not display a gun of any type for these weapons. It pictures only these very sharp needles. Without a comparison for size references, it is difficult to say if these are tiny objects fired from a pistol or large javelins designed to be thrown by hand.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Phantasy Star Complete Collection: Needler

Postby myau56 » Fri Jan 13, '12, 10:33 pm

Yes it's a big surprise, even if I am now able to see them in the japanese booklet. First time I saw them, reminds me of "javelin throw" but maybe it's just the ammonition presented here.. but in that case, why not have show the gun next to ?? Strange choice..
But if this weapon is really a javelin.. hope the users have a good aiming skill !
Last edited by myau56 on Fri Jan 13, '12, 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Tanith » Sat Jan 14, '12, 2:11 am

Apparently I'm taking in more of H-Man's martial arts knowledge than I realize, because as soon as I saw this picture I knew he'd shown me similar throwing weapons during one of our discussions.

A quick search turned up concealed throwing weapons, such as black lightning spikes, assassin spikes, and ninja throwing spikes.

And now, suddenly, the needlers hitting a "side" of enemies, rather than a row, makes more sense! If you're rapidly chucking darts, it's best for speed and accuracy to throw them in the same direction, rather than adjusting your aim across a row of enemies. Still, since you're not in close combat (ideally), it's feasible to hit enemies on both rows.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby myau56 » Sat Jan 14, '12, 8:05 am

Ah cool for the links ! And for the explanation : I must admit that about ninjas and combat techniques, I'm not very knowledgable ;)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Apprentice_of_Crys » Sun Jan 15, '12, 5:41 pm

Not an artwork I expected. I thought needlers were some kind of guns, like Thoul mentions them in the first comment. But Tanith's explanation sounds good! Although in my opinion javelins would fit more for Orakians (who are basically the people who can use the powerful needlers) than ninja weapons.
By the way, I like needlers very much. When I am playing PSIII, Rhys, Ayn or Nial are using a needler and a knife in the open field and swords in dungeons. Unfortunately, the stronest knives and needlers are not very effective in the 3rd generation so I don't use the two weapon sets then. One of the things I dislike about the PS games is that you can't change your weapons while you are in battle. I would have liked the feature to switch between a character's weapons just have more variety in the fights.
Apprentice_of_Crys
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 62

Postby myau56 » Sun Jan 15, '12, 10:09 pm

The feature to change the weapons during the fights isn't often possible,unfortunately...I can't remember if the FF serie permits it (I'm sure you can use a weapon wha has a special effect but not sure if you can change it..) : would have been so great, especially in the first Phantasy Star : choose between the Laconian Axe or the Laser Gun would have been valuable, like Fogejtle said earlier in another topic :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Sep 27, '21, 8:07 pm

Bumping up this former Image Of The Day!

The Needler Weapons!

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby myau56 » Tue Sep 28, '21, 12:40 pm

I need...ler ! :rofl:
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master