Phantasy Star: BaNL

Remixes and original creations by fans - as games, audio, videos or other forms - shine in this spotlight.

Do you want a darker storyline?

Yes
47%
No
32%
Maybe
21%

Total votes : 19

Re: Phantasy Star: BaNL

Postby vontrapp » Thu Aug 5, '10, 1:03 am

OK that does make sense, gratz on the 1k :D

edit: Forgot to say Great work on the spriting I'm loving the updated sprites (I'm jealous that mine just don't seem to come out that good, going to keep practicing though!) :wink:
Last edited by vontrapp on Thu Aug 5, '10, 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
vontrapp
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 43

Postby Lyla2284 » Thu Aug 5, '10, 3:20 pm

New screenshots! :D

The stats and Raja's pic are just placeholders. This is a tester, as shown by the time elapsed. ;)

- Map of Dezolis is complete. The entire map measures an incredible 5120 by 5120 pixels. ^^ It's huge, and I promise you will have a ball exploring it.
- Skure is done.
- Raja's sprite and battler are complete.
- Most towns are mapped, including Kuran. It just needs a little polish. A surprise and a half awaits the player on the sattelite.

That's all for now. Now I have to start on the Dezo battler sprites... ><
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 78

Postby Milbury » Sat Aug 7, '10, 2:36 pm

Considering the massive differences between the Dezolis of PSII and PSIV, Dezolis is an excellent location for storyline development. You've clearly put a great deal of thought into the story, so I assume many of the bulletpoints I'm about to cover you've already considered. But on the off-chance I can help play devil's advocate, here are some of my thoughts:

- The hidden castles that could only be found with the Aero Prism. They somehow vanished completely between PSII and PSIV. I am a staunch believer that the 'Nei weapons' are the same as the various legendary weapons of PSIV (Elysdeon, Silver Tusk, Psycho Wand, etc). If this is the case, the hidden castles would obviously not contain them, but it might be fun to see them as bonus dungeons, in the spirit of the wreckage site and Vahal Fort.
- The spaceports, but I believe you already discussed bringing them back, namely Skure. A good decision.
- The Magic/Mogic caps. I always just figured that 1,000 years was enough time for the Parmanians to master the Dezolian language, or that Dezolisians simply that the mind games weren't fun anymore. Still, it might be interesting to see them return as equippable headgear that has some effect on the Dezolisians, such as them giving you better prices in the shops or unlocking locked houses in town, or something along those lines.
- Random encounters with Dezolisian Penguins, ala the Rappy Cave.
- The return of those giant floating tank enemies from PSII. Boy were they a pain, ha ha.
- An excuse to see the 'common Espers' in action. Hey, if a penguin could join the party...

Let me reiterate how massively thrilled I am that you've decided to allow Zio to join the party. Whether or not you intend to keep the Air Castle arc is all academia at this point, but I cannot be the only one who thinks Zio VS Lashiec would just about overload us all in villainous awesome.

I don't know about the status of macros in this game (Alys using Grandcross by herself suggests no), but on the off-chance they return, surely Alys's Moonshade skill could be combined with something? I must have tried every combination possible with Moonshade in hopes of finding that fabled missing combo, but to no avail...and Moonshade seemed like the most combo-friendly skill in her repertoire.

(And yes, I didn't discover Lethal Image until the advent of the Internet three years later, ha ha.)

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone.
Milbury
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Lyla2284 » Sat Aug 7, '10, 6:11 pm

Wow, yet another informative post, Milbury. I could really use someone like you on my team. ;)
You seemed to have read my mind about some of your points that you made there.

- The Aero-Prism is key to the Dezo Arc this time. It reveals the location of the four Nei dungeons, which reappear in the game.
- The Nei weapons are NOT the same as the Elsydeon (which doesn't appear at all, I'm tired of magic, light-blessed swords in RPGs), Silver Tusk or Psycho-Wand, but the same weapons used by the PS2 heroes. The NeiSword and the Elsydeon are two different weapons.
- I have seriously considered introducing the Mogic/Magic caps in the game, for reasons that you discussed in your post.
- I doubt I'll include the Army Eyes ( those floating tanks ), they probably disappeared along with the MotherBrain government in PS2...

I'll start working on the branching storyline only after I've finished the 'normal' one. Sensitive players be warned: It won't be pleasant. This game has a 16+ age restriction for a reason. It's dark and tragic, not at all happy-sappy like PS4. The scenes in this part of the game are very hard to write...

Macros don't appear at all. Every character (or nearly every character) has a unique overdrive skill that is as strong as one Combination attack. Alys' GrandCross is her lvl 2 OD skill, and she doesn't get it leveling up. Rune's lvl 2 Od is Destruction. :D So, the combined damage of these skills used in battle puts the damage of PS4's Destruct combo to shame. The damage limit can exceed 999.

So hold onto your hats everyone. It's only going to get better from now on! 8)
Back to the drawing board, then.

And thank you once again, Milbury, for your detailed input. :)
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Postby Tanith » Mon Aug 9, '10, 10:07 am

Milbury wrote:- The return of those giant floating tank enemies from PSII. Boy were they a pain, ha ha.
Those things were so cool that I've worked them into a yet-to-be-released fanfic.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Lyla2284 » Fri Aug 13, '10, 1:55 pm

Wall of text coming up. This the general layout of the Dezo Arc. I'm open to suggestions. Areas marked CENSORED are pretty obvious, spoilers if you may. The layout that follows happens after the group crash lands on Dezo, located the Landale and have landed on Kuran.

- Strange substance on Kuran results in the sattelite malfunction. Origin of how it got there
is still unknown.
- Wren traces the source to Dezolis.
- Substance slowly mutates over time...
- Raja falls ill at Meese, and an Esper called Kyra will join the group upon finding out that they
too, want too seek out the cause of the illness which affects the entire population of Meese.
- Kyra says she knows of a man called Lutz that may be able to help them. They journey to Esper
Mansion, only accesible through the Crevice.
- CENSORED and states that there is a greater force at work here, and that they will need the Aero-Prism as well as the lost Nei items to find the location of the Garuberk Tower as well as the four Nei dungeons: Menobe, Guaron, Ikuto and Naval. These items are the only source of protection against the Crimson Wave on Kuran.
-The Aero-Prism is held in the Gumbious Temple.
- Aero-Prism is stolen by Lassic's henchman.
- Alys, Rune, Rika, Wren and Kyra travel to the Air castle, defeat Lassic and retrieve the AP.
- AP reveals the location of the Nei dungeons.
-Group ventures to the 4 Nei dungeons and retrieve the lost items. Location of the Garuberk Tower is then revealed.
-Dark Force is defeated in the GT and Kyra leaves the group.
-Group returns to Kuran to restore the blighted satellite, but... CENSORED.
-They regroup at the EsperMansion, and Rune tells the group they have to seek the help
of the Elder at Gumbious Temple.
-The Nei items, whose powers were rendered useless over the course of 1000 years, needs
to be restored. The Elder also gives the group the Silver-Tusk.
- The Elder indicates that the lost weapons of Nei can only be restored by journeying to
an emerald sphere whose path is like that of a comet. He means Rykros.
-The group of 4 will automatically return to the EsperMansion, where Rune will CENSORED.

RYKROSS ARC

- After this, the group will journey to Rykross.
- They meet with the guardian of fate, Le Roof and in order to restore the Nei items
lost powers, the Protectors will have to carry out a task. Until he drops a bombshell:
CENSORED.
- The group returns to Dezolis for final preparations, where they are re-united with Raja and Kyra.
-They return to Motavia, and meet up with Hahn, Gryz and Demi. CENSORED.
-The group defeats the monstrosity, but the satt. doesn't respond as Wren tries to repair it. Just then, CENSORED.

-CENSORED is controlling the sattelite....

CENSORED.

The five Protectors fight and defeat CENSORED, but before they can kill him, he reveals the true source of the Crimson
Wave's energy. A concealed hologram reveals...

Alys stares in disbelief....
And Shedal laughs like the madman he is.

I hope this new storyline will spark the players interest. Sorry for the wall-o-text. ^^
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Postby Aeroprism » Fri Aug 13, '10, 2:18 pm

This sounds sooooo much better than the original.

And I really, really need to step up the OST making.

So much effort humbles me :(
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby Lyla2284 » Fri Aug 13, '10, 2:22 pm

Aeroprism wrote:This sounds sooooo much better than the original.

And I really, really need to step up the OST making.

So much effort humbles me :(

Well, PS4 is ranked dead-last in terms on story, so it wasn't hard to better the storyline. ;) And yeah, I'm only going to release my demo once you finish you Motavia remix, Aero. Are you really willing to do an entire OST for the game. If so, then I really wish we had met a year ago. The sountrack probably would have been completed by now...
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Postby Aeroprism » Fri Aug 13, '10, 2:24 pm

Complete OST? Not doable if you want your game out in the next year or so. I however have already 4 remixed songs as you well know (who cares if you use a PS2 remix in a PS4 fan game, as long as it fits). But I can definitely guarantee a few more songs for you.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby Lyla2284 » Fri Aug 13, '10, 2:26 pm

Aero, I will delay the release of the game so you have enough time to do a full OST. The wait alone for a PS game with an original soundtrack should be worth it already. Did I mention I'm using Death Trance for one of the bosses? ^^
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

PreviousNext

Return to Fan Games, Music, Video & More