Phantasy Star: BaNL

Remixes and original creations by fans - as games, audio, videos or other forms - shine in this spotlight.

Do you want a darker storyline?

Yes
47%
No
32%
Maybe
21%

Total votes : 19

Re: Phantasy Star: BaNL

Postby Lyla2284 » Tue Jul 27, '10, 4:08 pm

vontrapp wrote:Lyla can I ask which battle system you are using? I have been hunting around for ages looking for one that works this way with no luck everyone seems to want either an Active or FF style battle system.

So, are you interested in using RMXP, then? Alright then, I'll give you a link the script. Mind you, it's not a plug-and play script, i.o.w, you can't just stick it into the scripts section of the game engine and expect it to work. ;) It took me nearly a year how to figure everything out properly, but if it's a PS battle-style script you want, then this is the one.

http://www.rmvxp.com/showthread.php?t=921
You'll need to download the ACBS - Frontal Sample. Believe it or not, but my entire game sprang from that little demo. :) Only Alys, Chaz, Hahn and the Crawler battle sprites are included with it. I had to do every other monster animation myself, as well as configure them properly.

@Thoul: Yes, I am pretty pleased with myself that I've made it this far. Sometimes, I'm still amazed when I play the game for myself. ^^ Maybe it's my birthdate that's gives me this whole strange connection with the series: 14 December 1987. PS1 (Japanese) if I remember, was released on the 20th, when I was a mere 6 days old. >< And PS4 was released 3 days after my 6th birthday (17 December 1993). Never giving up on this baby of mine, I've spent far too much time on her to abandon her now...

So yeah. Maybe it's fate. :D Who can say that, eh? :lol:
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 78

Postby vontrapp » Tue Jul 27, '10, 5:35 pm

Thanks Lyla, yes I have had RMXP for a while now and keep going back to it to poke around in my free time trying to figure this or that out, but since the kids came along there has been increasingly less time to play with such projects but I am determined that one day I will produce my own little game be it good or not XD.
vontrapp
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 43

Postby Lyla2284 » Sun Aug 1, '10, 10:56 am

I've been very busy planning out ideas for my game. I mentioned earlier that the Dezo Arc of the game will not be like PS4's and I'm writing out brief summaries for the major plot points.

Oh, and the game has far fewer bosses. Only 4. If I recall, PS4 had... eight?!? Overkill.
And there's no supreme evil being in here... It's much closer to home than you think. I can't reveal anything else beyond here. It would spoil everything.
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Postby Kein_Mitleid » Sun Aug 1, '10, 7:58 pm

Eight? Really? Do we judge that from the music or by how * they were? If so, we only have about four in PSIV... Zio, Dark Force (1, 2, and 3, considered as one), Lashiec, and the Profound Darkness. The rest were all either trains or pages of more powerful evils (so was Zio technically), their right-hand men, or petty guards. Rykros protectors are good guys. Then we have a bunch of random mecha bosses in those weapons compounds.

But this is awesome... I don't have enough creativity to rewrite most (the entire?) of the Dezolis arc!

Want to know what is on my wishlist?
- more background information on Raja and the priest class;
- more areas and caves on Dezolis, including the "hidden" part that was cancelled last-minute in PSIV;
- actually being able to explore the Esper Mansion... the building is huge from the outside, yet you can only explore a single floor and a few rooms.... would be awesome to be able to go everywhere in the building;
- making monsters slightly harder as you progress throughout Dezolis (the original game had very little variation throughout the entire planet).

That's about it... of course, I'd still be very thankful if you go ahead and do your own stuff - it IS your game after all, but since a lot of PSIV fans have similar wishes (of dalk 'n soortgelyke gedagtes?), I will always be glad to see any innovation you decide to go for.
Kein_Mitleid
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 5

Postby Lyla2284 » Sun Aug 1, '10, 10:09 pm

I never knew you could speak Afrikaans, Kein! :p Yes, I have re-written the entire game from Dezolis onwards and I have incorporated alot of elements from PS2 as well.

And the new map of Dezolis is HUGE (you'll have plenty to explore) and the entire game, is as hard as hell. It's gets even harder when traversing through Skure trying to find all the different towns. Might be on par with PS2's difficulty, but it will never get tedious or boring. And you don't have to level grind as much.

I haven't thought about making the Esper Mansion bigger, but now that you've suggested it, I'll give it a go. But I don't see how I could make a large building like that any more interesting...
The only drawcard in there is the cutscene all of us know by now involving Rune. The Elsydeon does not feature in my game, because of the re-written storyline.

I suppose I can drop some snippets about what I'm going to include:

- The Nei dungeons (along with the items) make a reappearance.
- An ancestor of Zio is featured in the game...
- The Aero-Prism is found on Dezolis, instead of Motavia, and serves as one of the most vital
objects in the game.

That's all for now.
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Postby Aeroprism » Mon Aug 2, '10, 2:44 pm

I am most vital.

:yes:
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby Thoul » Mon Aug 2, '10, 5:26 pm

While Phantasy Star games have always been a bit light on the number of bosses, I think it would be a good idea to have more than just four bosses. If your game is going to be bigger than PSIV, overcoming smaller bosses would help give the players a sense of accomplishment as they go along. That sort of thing really helps me stay interested in a game.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Solar » Mon Aug 2, '10, 6:58 pm

Yeah, also it can be annoying when you've gone a long way then get to the boss and realize your levels are way too low.
Solar
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 89

Postby Lyla2284 » Mon Aug 2, '10, 7:32 pm

Ahh, don't worry about that Solar. You don't have to level grind in here. And Thoul, I'll still keep some of the mini-bosses throughout the game, so it at least feels like the player has accomplished something, like you said before. The ones I mentioned are the major storyline bosses.

But the reworked storyline is way better than PS4s. ^^
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Postby Milbury » Wed Aug 4, '10, 12:36 am

Firstly, Lyla, I would like to commend you. I'm a Phantasy Star fan of over fifteen years, but I haven't been involved with the PS community in any meaningful way for almost half a decade. I'm relatively reclusive by nature, and with the downfall of SEGA, there's been very little reason for me to do more than occasional browses of the few devoted PS sites left. I've read every page of this thread, and your project has made me intrigued enough to join this forum. The screenshots you've released are of high quality and the ideas you've discussed promise a fascinating take on one of my favorite iterations of the series.

In particular, your dedication to branching out from the main storyline is admirable. I too have felt that, for all it's magnificence, PSIV was fairly linear in terms of plot, with many roads left untraveled and questions left unanswered. While being unable to closely examine the divergences you have in store, the ideas you've discussed, such as delving into Alys's childhood and exploring the 'lost Dezolis,' are tantalizing indeed.

However, I must implore you to be cautious: clearly Alys is your favorite character of the storyline, as your username of choice suggests. This favoritism, to a newcomer to your work, is quite clear: much of the new content your storyline promises is Alys-centric, teasers reveal Alys has been given significant new abilities (Grandcross and Megid), and the box art even has Alys replacing Chaz in the classic tableaux of the four heroes. Alys's role in the original game was woefully short, and seeing her stay with the party until the end of the game will be a delightful turn. I suspect she may even replace Chaz in the 'group of four', which is on its own a worthy enough storytelling tool. But when all of these influences pool together, the end result is a game less about Phantasy Star and more about Alys Brangwin. Which is fine, if what you are aiming for is a solo character piece, in the spirit the Sega CD 'Text Adventures.' But I gather that you are aiming for more, a retelling of Phantasy Star IV worthy of the fabled 'PSIV Generations' we were promised five years ago. If this is your goal, please be cautious not to focus so much on Alys that the other characters are overlooked. Characters such as Rune, Kyra, Seth and Zio in particular have massive potential for development. Please don't overlook it.

Which brings me to my favorite character: Zio. I recall reading elsewhere on this forum a proposal to see Zio as a playable character in the storyline. While you have shrouded this project in the secrecy such ambition deserves, I could not resist asking if you have any intentions of giving the Black Magician a chance at playability, or at least exploring his backgroung. Seeing Zio playable in a Phantasy Star game has been a wish of mine since 1997 - seeing it happen would be nothing short of awesome.

I'd like to thank you for giving me a reason to be excited about Phantasy Star again. With SEGA a mere shadow of its former glory, your project offers a much-needed shot in the arm for the penultimate role-playing game series of the decade. I'll be following your progress with great enthusiasm... and I'm sure I won't be the only one.
Milbury
Newcomer
Newcomer

PreviousNext

Return to Fan Games, Music, Video & More