Phantasy Star 1 in Minecraft

Quest for justice and vengeance with the beginning of the saga.

Phantasy Star 1 in Minecraft

Postby Catreina » Wed Jul 11, '12, 5:26 pm

Update - new progress updates and a quick question:

I am looking for ideas for my next pixel art creation - I am not an artist per-se, so it has to be an actual image I can use. I would like the next piece to be from Phantasy Star 1, but if there aren't any good ones, I will take art from any of the series, so long as it relates to PS1 in some way (like the Rolf/Eusis' dream intro, or the statue from PS4, etc).

Updates at bottom of OP, and OP below

-----

So I have been a lurker here (and most other Phantasy Star boards) for as long as I can remember. I decided to register because I have taken on a project of immense size, as evidenced by the thread title.

I will not post links until I am told I can do so, but the backstory is thus:

So I started playing Minecraft on June 27th - after having said I would never do such a thing.... and something profound happened.

In the darkness that was my ignorance of Minecraft, I found a holy torch; a shining prism that would forever show me things that were not otherwise visible. I saw Minecraft for what it truly was - a gateway to my childhood and the journey for revenge that was the first ever Role-Playing game I played outside of a tabletop setting.

There I was, learning about Minecraft, playing a hardcore world in single player while sometimes going onto a friends server for fun, when a conversation started. It was caused by the sheer number of things built by people on that server, and with my ignorance of all things Minecraft prior to this, I realized something so suddenly that it almost floored me (I had my trusty crystal though!)

I could re-create Phantasy Star in Minecraft.... as homage to the series I have loved for almost 25 years.

Now mind you, I had not seen any videos or examples of anyone else doing it, and I did not care if it was already done. I wanted to do it... so after two failed attempts with 2 dungeons and 3 towns completed each (the first with me using 2x2 minecraft tiles for each sprite in game, and the second with a failed town to over-world ratio), I started a new, more ambitious version - each over-world tile on the game map would equate to a 32x32 group of minecraft blocks.

The cities will be large and amazing looking, the landscape will require artistic license (or you will be walking for 1.5 minutes through nothing going from Camineet to Scion), and the dungeons will be as close to exact as I can make them, within the confines of the Minecraft game.

That said, my current project progress is thus:

Completed:

Parolit - all detailing outside of buildings, most in-building details. Elevator/Lift from Parolit <=> Palma is working

Camineet - all detailing outside of buildings, most in-building details. Both elevators/lifts from Camineet <=> Palma working

Spaceport - All detail completed. Hangar bay, tarmac, flight control tower, etc all done. Suggestions on how to improve anything in here is welcomed (You can see it on my stream or youtube - I will have a clip going up in the next day or two)

Rails between all 3 - completed

Medusa's Cave

Scion Cave (traps working)

Baya Maylay Prison

Area just outside prison (only as far as the wall extends)

In Progress:

Area inside wall but outside Camineet

Baya Maylay and its environs - specifically the mountain range and cliff wall from prison to cave.

I also have a nice Pixel Art of Dark Force on the world south of Parolit that took about 10 hours to complete... true fans would love to see it, I assure you. (edit: and a second pixel art of Alisa + Companions)

The project will be about 1.2 billion blocks or so when fully completed, and I plan on making a texture pack and mod for the world so that I can have a server set up to play it on directly. I also plan on doing PS2, 3, and 4 should this project turn out well.

You can see Dark Falz on my youtube (can I link it here?) and you can watch me in-progress live whenever I am casting (unless I am doing some other game at the time) on my Twitch page (also can I link it here?)

=)
Last edited by Catreina on Mon Jul 16, '12, 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Catreina
Citizen
Citizen

Achievements: 25

Re: Phantasy Star 1 in Minecraft

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Jul 12, '12, 3:58 am

Welcome to the Fringes Of Algo, Catreina!! :)

We are very happy that you have decided to come out of lurkdom and join us in posting here on the board. We hope you enjoy your stay.

Regarding the links, I think there is a certain amount of posts that one has to make after joining the site here before they can post links. I believe that amount is 5 posts, if I recall correctly. So, you are already on your way to reaching that particular goal.

Have fun exploring the site and welcome once again. :)
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Catreina » Thu Jul 12, '12, 5:08 am

Like I said, I have been lurking for years on most boards. I was going to create a phantasy star fan game years and years and years ago under the then-pseudonym of Orakio, but that was nearing 15 years now (and so, I am / it is most likely not remembered!)

That said, elevators suck in Minecraft. Especially the good looking ones (that I am trying to make)..... otherwise, I am doing great with the current progress - the Scion cave is done (complete with traps)

Eventually I will make a modded version of the map with easier to use/trigger traps (very easy actually) and what not. So much fun though. =)

Thanks for the welcome!
Catreina
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Thoul » Thu Jul 12, '12, 11:04 pm

I haven't played Minecraft myself, but I'm always impressed when I see these huge projects that people are making in the game. It amazes me that there is a way to recreate classic game environments so well.

Another member here, Atlinsmere I believe it was, posted a little while back about his progress in recreating some areas of PSIV in Minecraft. Myabe the two of you can team up somehow. ;)
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Catreina » Fri Jul 13, '12, 12:18 am

I have been periodically checking his stream to see if he is around - but he doesnt stream much.

I have been streaming on twitch for over 3 years, and this is my most recent "gaming addiction" .... though I think this will wind up being another passion, much like Phantasy Star has been for me.
Catreina
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Catreina » Fri Jul 13, '12, 8:23 pm

Got the Scion cave completed with working traps. I am working on the elevator system for Camineet and Parolit now, and once completed I will go ahead and make the towns and spaceport look "nice" - by adding detail, trees, grass, etc.

I will be using some minor creative license when doing this, such as adding farms and what not to the surrounding areas, and possibly doing the same for Camineet and Parolit (because of the scaling of the towns and the extra space required for the "overworld" map to look appropriate), but for now, it is just going to be making the towns look like towns.

I also created a new pixel art - Alis and Companions. It doesn't look as good as the Dark Falz one I have, but it still looks good - expecially from a distance.
Catreina
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Catreina » Sun Jul 15, '12, 4:44 am

Moving on to Scion, and then I will be working on fleshing out the entire area where Baya Maylay sits - it will be the first full area I flesh out that is not a town.

I have some big ideas for how to do that area too, it will be quite interesting if it works out.

That said, current progress will be (or is) updated in the main post as well as here:

Completed:

Parolit - all detailing outside of buildings, most in-building details. Elevator/Lift from Parolit <=> Palma is working

Camineet - all detailing outside of buildings, most in-building details. Both elevators/lifts from Camineet <=> Palma working

Spaceport - All detail completed. Hangar bay, tarmac, flight control tower, etc all done. Suggestions on how to improve anything in here is welcomed (You can see it on my stream or youtube - I will have a clip going up in the next day or two)

Rails between all 3 - completed

Medusa's Cave

Scion Cave (traps working)

In Progress - Area inside wall but outside Camineet

In Progress - Scion
Catreina
Citizen
Citizen

Postby myau56 » Wed Jul 18, '12, 12:45 pm

I've never played Minecraft in my own life but that's very interesting to read and learn ! Good luck for the following and keep up the good work !
And Welcome to the site Catreina ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Catreina » Thu Mar 17, '16, 9:07 pm

Viewed 1000 times - I should probably get back to work on this project =/
Catreina
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Snorb » Thu Mar 17, '16, 10:08 pm

Creeper: D: Sssssssssssssssssss
Alisa: Hey, you're not native to Palma. You should get where you belong, Mister Creepy Creeper.
Creeper: D: Sssssssssssssssssssssssss
Alisa: Ugh, the field guide says you're afraid of cats. Where's Myau when I need him?
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Next

Return to Phantasy Star