Pet bear kills lady

Companions of all kinds - furry, feathered, fishy and more!

Pet bear kills lady

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Oct 10, '09, 6:15 pm

Another story about a pet bear killing it's owner. This one happened in Pennsylvania:

http://news.aol.com/article/pet-bear-ki ... oss/703020

Sad story, both for the lady and the bear.

It's just too dangerous to try and tame or make pets out of wild animals like this one and animals that are so much larger than the people themselves. We seem to be hearing more and more stories lately of circumstances gone wrong and someone being horribly mutilated or killed.

Let's hope that other people who have pets like this will wake up and try and do something to prevent this from happening again.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Pet bear kills lady

Postby Thoul » Sun Oct 11, '09, 1:27 am

This bear weighed 350 pounds. No one should have a pet that weighs more than a healthy human being. That's just asking for trouble.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lucas » Sun Oct 11, '09, 6:32 am

I remember watching a documentary and the commentator saying no species of bear can be tamed. Even if they are raised from a cub by humans they still have their wildlife instinct which makes them untrustworthy. Same goes for Crocodiles, many people think that hand rasing a crocodile it will get used to the person over their life…wrong. :blank:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Oct 11, '09, 8:50 pm

Lucas wrote:I remember watching a documentary and the commentator saying no species of bear can be tamed. Even if they are raised from a cub by humans they still have their wildlife instinct which makes them untrustworthy. Same goes for Crocodiles, many people think that hand rasing a crocodile it will get used to the person over their life…wrong. :blank:

Good point, Lucas! I have also heard that related to other types of wild animals also. I guess no matter how much we try to tame or domesticate them, the "wild" never really leaves them, I guess.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby PathfinderCS » Mon Oct 12, '09, 4:47 am

It never ceases to amaze me. I remember once when riding in the back of our car in the interstate. We passed a small pickup truck and guess what was riding in the cab of the truck.

A cougar. A fricken cougar in the cab of a pickup truck. :yikes:

There are just some animals that should remain in the wild, for their and our sakes.
"I'd say the sky's the limit!" - Spyro
PathfinderCS
Agent
Agent

Location: With the stars, sailing the blackness of the universe.
Achievements: 20

Postby Tsunami » Sat Oct 24, '09, 8:58 pm

My god. I hate to say this, but anyone who's crazy enough to keep a wild animal as a pet and gets mauled by them is kinda asking for it... Maybe I am just a cynic on some level for saying this, as terrible as the incident is. >_>
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Oct 24, '09, 9:35 pm

As the animal hurt a human being, it got shot and killed...it's a WILD ANIMAL, you freaking ASKED for it! I have a friend who works at the Pittsburgh zoo. They have a crocodile there and a big one at that. Being a reptile, it doesn't move a lot of the time. She has seen people dangle their kids over the bridge that overlooks the exhibit to try and touch the croc as it apparently spends a lot of time under the bridge, to see if the croc will move. The bridge is high enough that I don't think anyone can touch the croc, but people try. If it does move, that's going to be a dead kid and an angry parent wondering why Mr. Croc killed her kid. And then the zoo will have to kill the croc as it would be a man-eating animal. Yes, let's dangle a kid to touch a 10 foot long 400 pound crocodile and expect it to remain docile and respect the superior human being as it disturbs it. Well, DUH! :roll: Sometimes people just have to get what they're asking for, and even then they don't learn. Cold, maybe, but we just need to stop expecting wild animals to be civilized like us and let them their lives.

As a note, a couple summers ago, I read a story from home about a man encountering a black bear mother with some cubs (and bear cubs are undeniably some of the cutest baby animals ever) who wandered into his yard, as he lived near forest. He shot a bb gun at the cubs, and the mother attacked him. He survived the attack, and the mother was sought out and shot, leaving her cubs to fend for themselves. Yes...attack baby animals, and let's get surprised when mom gets angry and defends them, and demand she get killed, as if most human mothers wouldn't defend her offspring when they're under attack! :fiery: This still...infuriates me. :punch:
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Sun Oct 25, '09, 3:15 am

Caged Wolf wrote:She has seen people dangle their kids over the bridge that overlooks the exhibit to try and touch the croc as it apparently spends a lot of time under the bridge, to see if the croc will move. The bridge is high enough that I don't think anyone can touch the croc, but people try.

People who do that really kill my faith in humanity. No one has any common sense any more. I mean... it's a croc. What kind of parent puts their kid within striking distance of something that can probably swallow the kid in one gulp?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to Amazing Animals