Archie Comics new gay character

Converse about your favorite literature and reading in this study.

Archie Comics new gay character

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Apr 28, '10, 7:30 pm

Archie Comics is introducing a new openly gay character in an issue of the comic book due out in September:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/28/1 ... rdale.html

Comments or Opinions?

Anyone here a fan of Archie Comics?

I haven't read an issue of this comic book in years, although I still remember the main characters of Archie, Betty, Reggie, Veronica, and Mr. Witherspoon the Principal, I think his name was.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Archie Comics new gay character

Postby Thoul » Wed Apr 28, '10, 8:38 pm

I'm a big comics fan, but I never cared for the Archie books. They just never attracted my interest as a kid, where the big name super heroes did.

As for this new character, my first reaction is that this must have been announced on a slow news day. The reason this made the news at all is that Archie comics have an old reputation for being wholesome and this seems out of place for that reputation. From what little I have seen of the Archie books, I don't see how that rep was earned in the first place. But, historically, it takes decades for comics' reputations to be changed in the view of the general public.

Most of the people talking about it probably haven't even seen an Archie comic in twenty years, much less really care about what's in them. They're talking more about the reputation than the actual comic. That's the main reason this has any importance. Homosexual characters in American comics are nothing new - there's easily over 100 of them already.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Archie Comics new gay character

Postby Rune_Walsh » Thu Apr 29, '10, 12:34 am

Well said, Thoul.

I'm a fan of Archie comics, and I don't see why some people are making a fuss. Archie comics are not "wholesome" as others have stated. You have Archie Andrews, a two-timing womanizer (look, I love Archie, but it's the truth!). I think introducing a gay character and being accepting about it is very cool and progressive, and I love the idea that Veronica is going to get her ego crushed by a gay man, lol
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Return to Leapin' Library