Pacific Rim. Wow.

Chat about your latest viewings of the big screen movies.

Pacific Rim. Wow.

Postby doncair99 » Mon Jul 15, '13, 4:45 am

This movie just came out literally a couple days ago, so I'm sure that not a lot of people have seen it, but it's worth spending money for tickets. When I came out of the movie, I couldn't help but think about a discussion in the forums about the appeal of the Algol Star System. This movie does just that. The characters and plot is predictable for the most part, but there is just something about the universe that they live in that you just can't help but feel connected to...especially since it takes place in the not-to-distant future.

For those who have seen it, am I the only one who couldn't help but wonder about how the amount engineers there must have been among the crew? The Jaeger system is probably about as complex, if not more than, the NASA program.

As an added bonus, I'm a sucker for comradery. This movie has a lot of that.
doncair99
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 153

Re: Pacific Rim. Wow.

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Jul 15, '13, 4:50 am

I saw it yesterday with my boyfriend, his brother, and his roommate. I was actually surprised by how many cliches they AVOIDED that a movie like that is prone to. I had a good time with it, and as a Godzilla fan, I think they did the giant monster thing right. You saw the monsters, and watched them destroy cities. They were pretty good looking, they fought savagely with the Jaegers. That was all I wanted, and it's what I got. Yeah, the plot was predictable, there were tons of things I saw coming from the start, but...it was still pretty enjoyable!
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby doncair99 » Mon Jul 15, '13, 4:01 pm

When I first heard the term Kaiju being used, I couldn't help but think of Godzilla. Even the glowing features of their attacks and everything carried something Godzilla-esque. I'm sure many Gojira fans were satisfied.
doncair99
Guardian
Guardian

Postby jessie » Tue Jul 16, '13, 3:40 am

I plan on seeing this very soon. My kids and I love Godzilla, so this is a natural choice for a movie night!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
ImageImage
ImageImage
jessie
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 39

Postby Thoul » Mon Jun 16, '14, 8:56 pm

Managed to see this movie a little while back. I thought it was just a perfect implementation of the humans fighting Godzilla-sized critters plotline. Certainly the best take on that I've ever seen. I don't know what kind of sequel potential it has, but I'd certainly love to see another one.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby doncair99 » Tue Jun 17, '14, 11:13 pm

Thoul, did you hear that they might actually be doing a sequel? I agree; I'm not quite what they could do with it, but I'm still a little excited by the rumor.
doncair99
Guardian
Guardian

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Jun 18, '14, 1:47 pm

A sequel is a tough thing for me. When something doesn't really NEED a sequel, sometimes I prefer they'd just let the original rest, even if I really love the universe. The Matrix movies are a good example. The original didn't really need a sequel, and I found the sequels to be far inferior to the original, which was one of the most intelligent, well-thought out movies I have seen. That's not to say I hate the sequels, as I enjoy them on their own terms in some ways, but I still find myself thinking 'these movies really don't need to exist.'

I feel the same about Pacific Rim. I loved it. But I question if a sequel is needed and necessary, or even really a good thing aside from that.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Jun 18, '14, 7:46 pm

I started watching this movie months ago and don't remember finishing it as I think I got busy doing other things or something so it's on my list of soon to see movies. That's one draw back of watching movies at home...sometimes you get interrupted, or other things happen, etc. From what I remember seeing, it was very good. A sequel...doesn't surprise me.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Fri Jun 20, '14, 1:26 am

I had no idea a sequel was even being considered. If they do make one, it will be interesting to see what direction it goes in. I thought the original wrapped things up pretty tightly, so I have no idea where they would take the story now. If the sequel is as well designed as the first, though, it'll be a great flick.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Jun 29, '14, 3:40 am

It looks like the sequel is a sure thing and has a release date of April 2017:

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=875031

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499