P is for Phantasy!

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

P is for Phantasy!

Postby augmentedfourth » Tue Mar 27, '18, 3:22 am

This popped up on my Twitter feed, retweeted from Sega: Sega Master System: a visual compendium. Some quick research shows they've already done books for the NES and the SNES. These days, I tend to prefer my books in digital form, but this might be worth getting the physical copy. Hopefully I'll remember to visit the Kickstarter in May.

I immediately looked for something from PS and found the P. With a quick glance, I also recognized Alex Kidd, Columns (the Master System version was the best!), and a couple images from Sonic the Hedgehog. I think the shirtless guy with the sword is from Golden Axe? (I only played on the Genesis.) I'm pretty sure I played the games with the motorcycle and the box, but their names escape me at the moment.
augmentedfourth
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 256

Re: P is for Phantasy!

Postby myau56 » Tue Mar 27, '18, 12:55 pm

I've heard some news about this compendium ! Seems to be great :) And I've alredy seen the famous P "phor" Phantasy Star! ;)
Yes ! The shirtless guy with the sword is from Golden Axe ! :)
The motorcycle with H ? It's Hang-On ! :)
And the box I don't know ! Sure, it's for the letter X but... ?
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Hukos » Sat Nov 24, '18, 4:21 am

The Master System is the one Sega console I have a really hard time getting into. The original Phantasy Star is nice (assuming you have access to FM Synth) - but the severe lack of 3rd party support cripples it. Now, we know that has a lot to do with the policies Nintendo had with a lot of 3rd party devs, but still, it's annoying.

I liked the Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast more, but I guess the MS has a few gems on it. The two Master System Aleste games were pretty solid if you like space shooters.
I feel the way you would
Hukos
Android
Android

Achievements: 41

Postby myau56 » Sat Nov 24, '18, 3:59 pm

Hukos wrote:The Master System is the one Sega console I have a really hard time getting into. The original Phantasy Star is nice (assuming you have access to FM Synth) - but the severe lack of 3rd party support cripples it. Now, we know that has a lot to do with the policies Nintendo had with a lot of 3rd party devs, but still, it's annoying.

I liked the Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast more, but I guess the MS has a few gems on it. The two Master System Aleste games were pretty solid if you like space shooters.

The original PS is sure to be nice but even without the FM synth ! I've heard the different tracks from the japanese versions and, even if they are great in a technical way, I'm too familiar with the musics without the FM chip ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby R-90-2 » Sat Nov 24, '18, 8:51 pm

Hukos wrote:I liked the Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast more, but I guess the MS has a few gems on it. The two Master System Aleste games were pretty solid if you like space shooters.

There are some good games for the Master System besides- Golvellius is a pretty strong Zelda-ish game, there's actually a good Ninja Gaiden game, Black Belt is a strong Kung Fu clone, and there's a startlingly faithful port of Ultima IV.
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Postby myau56 » Sun Dec 1, '19, 12:04 pm

This famous Master System Compendium is great and a must have to all the MS fans ! :) :clap: :fiery:
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby MrKite » Fri Feb 28, '20, 7:02 pm

I never thought Columns was that great. Found it too easy and simplistic and I tend to get bored with it after 20 minutes. I prefer Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine.
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Postby myau56 » Sat Feb 29, '20, 12:26 pm

MrKite wrote:I never thought Columns was that great. Found it too easy and simplistic and I tend to get bored with it after 20 minutes. I prefer Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine.

Me too I prefer Dr Robotnik's ! But Column's is good too :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Return to General Gaming