Does 2D still have a place?

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Do you prefer 2D over 3D?

I like 2D games the best.
100%
3D games are way better.
No votes
I find both to be equally good.
No votes
It doesn't matter; the rest of a game is what counts.
No votes
I'm really not sure.
No votes

Total votes : 2

Does 2D still have a place?

Postby Thoul » Sun Aug 9, '09, 4:37 pm

Do you think games with two dimensional graphics still have a valid place in today's gaming market? In recent years, there have been many many compilations like Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. Entirely new 2D games seem pretty rare to me, though. Even the portable systems, like the Nintendo DS, have moved away from 2D presentations and more toward three dimensional games.

It seems to me like the major game companies now view 2D as something that should be limited to old games being released again or small, quick games like some on WiiWare. I can't think of a single major title upcoming that is 2D.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Does 2D still have a place?

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Aug 9, '09, 8:40 pm

Oh yes. Some people prefer 2D and there are some games that are better 2D. I'm borrowing a friend's Super Nintendo right now and he also lent me Super Mario World, and that game feels totally different from Super Mario Galaxy. Both are excellent games. 2D definitely still has a place, at least in the platforming genre if nothing else.

Some old 2D games have also aged really well and there's high demand for them to be officially re-released in some form...*Points to Earthbound and the insane demand for it to come out on the VC.*
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Re: Does 2D still have a place?

Postby Lucas » Mon Aug 10, '09, 8:36 am

I still think 2D games can hold their own. Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier (what a mouthful :lol: ) was only released on DS at the beginning of the year and it is a 2D action RPG which has been quite successful and nearly all my favourite fighting games are 2D aswell. Personally I still think 2D games rule just as much as 3D. :wink:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Return to Tech and Design