What games have the best music?

Get up and move your body to the beat of music discussions.

What games have the best music?

Postby Neithird » Fri Oct 19, '07, 5:33 am

Out of the many games you've played, which ones had music that really stood out for you?

I really liked the music in Dragon Quest 8. It was performed by the Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra. That was impressive to me. I have never heard of any other game's music coming from real orchestra.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Tsunami » Fri Oct 19, '07, 7:38 pm

Many games had good music, but I think Phantasy Star III has some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard in a video game! :yes: Another game that I really liked when it comes to music is Chrono Cross.

If any others come to mind, I'll be sure to mention them. :idea:
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Thoul » Sat Oct 20, '07, 9:09 am

I liked some of the tracks in PSIV. Organic Beat and Ooze are good. The Zelda series had some good themes in Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time, which were reused in Twilight Princess.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Thoul » Thu Oct 25, '07, 1:31 am

I've recently had the occasion to come across some music from Sonic R and Sonic Adventure. It's easily some of the best game music with lyrics that I've ever heard.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Feb 18, '08, 6:01 am

Old topic, but one I want to post in because I recently came across the entire Okami soundtrack online.

There are two games that have music that really stands out, and both of these are games that I think would be horrible if the music was bad. The first is Shadow of the Colossus. This game has one of the two best soundtracks I've ever heard in a game, which is impressive given the length of the game and how few tracks are really needed. The relatively few tracks are extremely effective, and the epilogue music sounds like it should be in a movie to play when a major character dies. This music is good enough that I have some of it on my mp3 player.

The only other game that has really standout music to me is Okami, and I came across this soundtrack online a few days ago. It is, like everything else about this game, a work of art and it's pretty much all I've been listening to since I found it...probably because it's relaxing, which helps me focus when I'm doing schoolwork, which I've been doing a lot of lately. But a couple of these tracks, for some reason, are inspiring images of a piece of PSIV fanfiction. I may have to address that this summer when I may have a little more time.

There are lots of other games with music I like, but those two are just way beyond the rest with their music, at least to me.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Return to Tootin' Tunes