Originals or remakes?

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Do you prefer original versions or remakes of games?

Originals
18%
Remakes
18%
It depends
64%

Total votes : 11

Originals or remakes?

Postby Flames of Yagami » Wed Oct 20, '10, 3:05 am

Randomly thought of this. Just say whether you prefer the original version of a game or a remake and why. This can also include fan made remakes.
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 212

Re: Originals or remakes?

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Oct 20, '10, 3:10 am

Some remakes are good...others not so much. Depends.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Wed Oct 20, '10, 3:18 am

I have to agree. It depends on the remake. For instance, PS generation:1 is a fairly good remake. So is Wild ARMS: Alter Code F. There are other remakes that are just horrible compared to the original, though.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby hugues » Wed Oct 20, '10, 3:57 am

I also have mixed experiences with remakes...

For example, I prefer the original TG16 version of Ys I&II over the DS remake. Graphical style, play control, and soundtrack are all superior on the much older system. I won't say it's a "bad" game though, if you've never played Ys it's worth getting.

On the flipside, I really got into the GBA remake of the original Final Fantasy but not the original.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby zyo81 » Wed Oct 20, '10, 3:09 pm

For me it depends on whether I played the original. If the nostalgia factor is there, I almost always prefer the original. For example, I prefer the NES final fantasy to the remake, since that's the second rpg I ever played and it holds alot of memories for me. Phantasy Star 4 is my favorite rpg of all time and I can't imagine a remake being better for me.

However, I never had a sega cd as a kid and now that I've played 3 different versions of Lunar:SSC I prefer the newest one. Limitations in design are much easier to look past with nostalgia goggles on.
zyo81
Citizen
Citizen

Achievements: 9

Postby MrKite » Thu Oct 21, '10, 12:50 pm

Originals. Remakes may look good, but in the end, they aren't as good as the source material. :)
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Postby xellos667 » Thu Oct 21, '10, 1:49 pm

If the game is fun at its core I would play either the original or remake. I like having a second shot at a game while it is at the same time a little different, so for me "good" remake are great :)
xellos667
Android
Android

Achievements: 43

Postby Jack Lias » Fri Nov 12, '10, 12:41 am

I voted for remakes.

All of the remakes that I've played have had the exact same story and gameplay as the original, just with improved graphics, sound, voices, and everything else. The remakes usually have added features, as well (the remake of the first Star Ocean game has an extra playable character that the SNES version doesn't have). That being said, I don't understand how people can like the original over a remake when the remake is the exact same thing, just improved. Alas, I do see that someone above voted for "original".
Jack Lias
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 34

Postby Xeno » Thu Apr 11, '13, 12:00 pm

It depends. If they only improve the game (like Star Ocean), then remakes are best.
If they take the game as a base and then change its core (like Lufia: Curse of The Sinistrals), then the original wins.

Still, most remakes keep true to the original game, so I suppose I'll vote for remakes. Had it not been for them, I'd never be able to play SO1. Also, let's not forget the remakes of Phantasy Star. I'm sure a LOT of Nei fanboys squeeled with joy at the second one.
Nei deserved better.

Current project: Phantasy Star - The Age of Numans
Xeno
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 34

Postby myau56 » Thu Apr 11, '13, 8:56 pm

Originals for me ! But the remakes are sometimes very good :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Next

Return to General Gaming