"The Tinman" on Sci-Fi

There's lots to talk about on the smaller screen.

"The Tinman" on Sci-Fi

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Dec 4, '07, 7:14 pm

Is anyone else watching this mini-series program showing this week on the sci-fi channel called "The Tinman"? I have seen every episode so far and absolutely love it.

The program is based on the old "Wizard Of Oz" movie but it is done with a futuristic type theme or idea, I guess you could say. It is wild, freaky, exciting, and has me guessing as to just what is going to happen next. I haven't been able to say that about a program in such a long time.

Anyway, if anyone is interesting in watching it, the Sci-fi channel is reshowing the episodes every night. Tonight will be the third installment. Check your local listings to find out more.

If anyone else has seen "The Tinman" so far, what is your thoughts or opinions on the program?
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Tsunami » Tue Dec 4, '07, 8:16 pm

When I read about this in the TV Guide, I had considered watching it. Perhaps I'll catch it tonight (if I remember to watch it and if I'm not too busy).

The concept seemed interesting enough, though. Do they still have the Scarecrow, Tinman, and the Lion in it? :O
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Dec 4, '07, 10:46 pm

Tsunami wrote: Do they still have the Scarecrow, Tinman, and the Lion in it? :O

Yes, and No. There are three characters but they are different than the scarecrow, tinman, and cowardly lion of the original movie.

In this sci-fi show the "scarecrow type" being is also smart but has lost his brain and many of his memories due to other circumstances. He has a zipper on his head, lol. Not as weird as it seems actually.

And, The "tinman type" being was a former law enforcer (tin badge = tin man, etc. ). It makes sense if you watch the show. He reminds me of a Indiana Jones type and almost dresses the part too.

And, the "cowardly lion type" being is a "healer" type, I think. If someone is injured, he can heal their wounds. He also needs courage, etc.

Just think of "The Wizard Of Oz" with magic, mystic, robots, good & evil, guns, other "future" worlds, etc.

And, wait til you see "The Wizard" himself. This part is played by actor Richard Dreyfuss ("Close Encounters", "Mr. Holland's Opus", etc.). He is really " far - out ", lol.
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Tue Dec 4, '07, 11:39 pm

I've been watching it while doing other stuff. I've seen most of it but missed a few parts. It's pretty good overall. There are some scenes that remind me of the original Oz movie and some that are completely new. Most of the characters are being fleshed out a lot more, so I'm finding them to be more interesting than the originals.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby SparkyIII » Wed Dec 5, '07, 7:04 pm

Awww, its a series? I saw some comercials a couple weeks ago, and I thought it was an awesome movie. lol
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Neithird » Wed Dec 5, '07, 9:17 pm

I watched a little bit of it. It was a mini-series, so it's like an extra long movie. I think it is meant to be a sequel to the original movie, but also to parallel a lot of the scenes. In the third part, Dorothy from the original appears and her analog in Tin Man is said to actually be Dorothy's descendant, so it feels like a sequel from that.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Tsunami » Wed Dec 5, '07, 9:29 pm

I watched a bit of the 2nd part, and it was pretty interesting. However, I can never watch something all the way through without seeing the first part, since I'll be bothered about what I missed. :\
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Postby Neithird » Wed Dec 5, '07, 9:55 pm

If I know the Sci Fi channel, they'll show the whole thing every chance they get, so I'm sure you'll have another chance to see the beginning. I bet it will even be on sometime this weekend.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Tsunami » Thu Dec 6, '07, 12:34 am

Neithird wrote:If I know the Sci Fi channel, they'll show the whole thing every chance they get, so I'm sure you'll have another chance to see the beginning. I bet it will even be on sometime this weekend.
I checked the TV guide for the first half of the week, and they'd only be reshowing the 3rd part today (it could be wrong, it's happened before). I'll see what'll be on for the rest of the week, and if it is, then I'll check it out...if I remember, anyways. :D

Always a little too busy for TV, sadly.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Postby Thoul » Thu Dec 6, '07, 10:18 pm

I think the whole mini is being shown again on Sunday. That's what I've been told was advertised anyway.

After seeing the whole thing, I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's clearly based on the old movie if you're familiar with that, but it is also independent enough to stand on it's own two feet. The ending was a little abrupt to me, however.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Next

Return to Tubular Television