Part of Midway Sold

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

Part of Midway Sold

Postby Thoul » Fri Jul 3, '09, 6:36 pm

After having a lot of financial troubles, Midway put itself up for sale in something like an auction, but the only interested party was Warner Bros. WB is paying $33 million (US) for most of the company, including Mortal Kombat.

Any thoughts on what this will mean for the future of the Midway franchises? The last Kombat game released, MK vs DC Universe, featured characters from DC Comics, which is also owned by Warner Bros. Maybe there will be sequel to that? Mortal Kombat 9 is supposedly already in production with a focus on taking the series back to it's roots of pushing the envelope in gory battles.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Part of Midway Sold

Postby Darkil » Tue Jul 7, '09, 1:40 pm

I also read that some of the people behind the Mortal Kombat movies are talking about legal action against Midway since they somehow own the "back stories" for the characters in the movie, thus owning Mortal Kombat in a sense. The argument is that the game characters weren't fleshed out before the 1st and 2nd movie came out so they have copyrights to that. It all seems rather strange to me but makes sense at the same time. I guess time will tell how that plays out. Of course if I find the story, I'll post it here.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Tweeg » Wed Jul 8, '09, 3:41 am

I haven't kept up with the gorey fighting series at all, latest in the series I actually played was MK3 on the Genesis. The Sega CD version of MK was my favorite out of the bunch. Was a bit of the ratiry for its time too as the game disc doubled as the soundtrack CD, and also has the infamous Mortal Monday TV commercial on it that plays when you load the game up. Obscure bonuses like that were a real treat back then. 8)
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby Thoul » Wed Jul 8, '09, 12:20 pm

Honestly, I'm more interested in the movies. :lol: Back when the games came out, my parents wouldn't have let me have it even if I wanted it. The only MK I've ever played is on the Game Boy Color... Mortal Kombat 4, I think it was. That was pretty hard to get into; I don't know if that was due to it being a GB game or an MK game.

Darkil wrote:I also read that some of the people behind the Mortal Kombat movies are talking about legal action against Midway since they somehow own the "back stories" for the characters in the movie, thus owning Mortal Kombat in a sense.

I read something about that, also, and that the matter had been settled. I haven't seen any specifics about how it was settled, though. If you do find any, please do share them. :) Supposedly there's another MK movie in production already. I'd like to hear more about whether or not that's going forward now.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Darkil » Wed Jul 8, '09, 4:39 pm

Here's a link that explains what I was attempting to, lol

Legal Kombat
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Thoul » Fri Jul 24, '09, 12:54 pm

Thanks for that link, Darkil. :)

There's more news about the parts of Midway that Warner Bros. didn't buy now. No one was interested in the UK studio, so it's been shut down entirely now. The 80 employees there were fired.

Warner Bros. also fired a good chunk of Midway's staff now that they own the company. According to that article, 60 people - 20% of the Midway workforce - were dropped. That would mean Midway had around 300 employeees previously.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Return to In the News