One song interest you in others?

Get up and move your body to the beat of music discussions.

One song interest you in others?

Postby Tsunami » Tue Feb 5, '08, 4:17 pm

Has it ever happened to you where you'll hear one song from a group/singer and will like it, then you'll listen to other music of theirs only to be disappointed?

There's been many one hit wonders from groups that would make me wonder if any of their other stuff is good, but most of the time there will only be one other song or two that I'll like. There are a few bands that have a good consistancy with their music as far as quality and such goes, but even then it would depend on one's taste in music.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Reno » Tue Feb 5, '08, 6:12 pm

Well, the only example that comes to mind would be the group, Green Day and their, (in my mind) one-hit wonder, "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" I heard that song and loved it, listened to the rest of the CD, and thought the rest was absolute crap. Even that song had a flaw in it. You'd be listening to his melancholy voice going on and then, out of nowhere, he drops the F-bomb, (for lack of better explanation) in the middle of the song. Now, I don't mind cursing in music, but only when it fits in with the song and sounds good, in "Boulevard..." it was almost like they thought:

"Right! Songs done; sounds nice; flows well; but it's missing something... I know! We need a curse word in there somewhere in order to sound wicked!! Ah, here we are; we'll just pop this word in here... Right! Brilliant job everyone, this'll be a smash for sure!!!"

Despite that bit there, it's still a great song I must say.
"Science was dealt a crippling blow the instant that its conclusions were deemed to be subject to democracy."
[face=Arial][/face]
Reno
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 18

Postby Thoul » Wed Feb 6, '08, 10:47 pm

Yeah, I've run into that a lot. I can't remember the names of all the artists it's happened with, but it's a long list. I really tend to be a one song kind of person. Usually I don't bother looking up artists' other music these days.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Sun Feb 10, '08, 12:19 am

For me, I remember hearing "Shout" by Tears for Fears and I absolutely loved it. :) I listened to a few of their other songs and was disappointed, however... "Everybody Wants to Rule The World" wasn't that bad, and neither was "Mad World", but the others simply weren't as good, IMO.

Reno wrote:Well, the only example that comes to mind would be the group, Green Day and their, (in my mind) one-hit wonder, "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" I heard that song and loved it, listened to the rest of the CD, and thought the rest was absolute crap. Even that song had a flaw in it. You'd be listening to his melancholy voice going on and then, out of nowhere, he drops the F-bomb, (for lack of better explanation) in the middle of the song. Now, I don't mind cursing in music, but only when it fits in with the song and sounds good, in "Boulevard..." it was almost like they thought:

"Right! Songs done; sounds nice; flows well; but it's missing something... I know! We need a curse word in there somewhere in order to sound wicked!! Ah, here we are; we'll just pop this word in here... Right! Brilliant job everyone, this'll be a smash for sure!!!"
Oi, I dislike Green Day. But I will admit that song isn't too bad, even if their group is crap. Utada's cover of the song was pretty good, though. :D

And there was the F-word in that song? Maybe I wasn't paying attention (or it was a radio edit, as that's where I heard it played over and over and over...).
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Postby Reno » Sun Feb 10, '08, 12:46 am

I share your hatred! :D That one song is the only thing I liked about them, make no mistake of that! And yeah, he did use the F-word, (only once) in the middle of the song, out of nowhere he just mutters it. I'm not sure if it would be against the Participation guidelines, (seeing as how I'd be sending you to a page, just so you could see a curse word! :D ) but if you want to find the lyrics, a quick search on google will bring results.
"Science was dealt a crippling blow the instant that its conclusions were deemed to be subject to democracy."
[face=Arial][/face]
Reno
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 18

Postby Tsunami » Sun Feb 10, '08, 12:52 am

I just did a search on the lyrics, and wow. I'm not too surprised, but geez... You are right about it being muttered, since I can't recall it being said at all. Now I must check Utada's cover! :lol:

EDIT: She says it too! I think I must have ignored it...lol. I often do when listening to things that have swearing. >_>
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Feb 10, '08, 9:08 pm

This scenario mentioned in the first post above has happened to me also a number of times. I find a lot of groups only have that one song that I like and I may tend to be disappointed by other songs they have.

However, the opposite holds true too. I have also found a number of groups who having heard one of their songs that I like, later on when finding out more about them I find other songs that I also like. Some groups that come to mind off hand are "Montgomery Gentry", and the group "Survivor" who do the "Eye Of The Tiger" song.
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Return to Tootin' Tunes