Official Ys Topic of Fringes

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Re: Official Ys Topic of Fringes

Postby myau56 » Thu Jan 19, '12, 8:54 am

Wanderer From Ys : no need to "convince" me no soucy ! Because even if a game hasn't got so good graphics, it doesn't matter to me because IF the game is good I can enjoy it without a doubt ! :) But I have watched the videos...I like the two versions ! I'm very open :)

And as a matter of fact, I already tried the Ys serie because I have finished the first one on the Master System so.. I'll not have a bad opinion due to the DS version : don't worry ! ^^
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby myau56 » Thu Jan 19, '12, 8:37 pm

Yep you're right : I have the two devices and the sound of the PSP is the best (with an audio headset) (but the DS sound is far better without : not in quality but sound power).
Ah the famous JDK band : great ! Three different soundtracks is a good choice but whenever you want ? It's not very common. Hard to choose but if one day I have the game... ;)

Favorite Ys song ? I can't answer because I only really played the first one so.. hard to answer ! But I'll try to answer later : but the Ys Symphony CD is excellent !! More than excellent..superb !
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Thoul » Tue Mar 20, '12, 9:10 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the PC version of Oath in Felghana? I noticed today that it's been released on Steam recently. From what little I've read about it, it seems to be the original PC version without any enhancements given to the PSP version. Do you think the PC version is still worth playing? Mind you, I don't have a PSP, so I can't play that version anyway.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby myau56 » Tue Mar 20, '12, 9:23 pm

Nope for me : I didn't play at all on PC and I never used steam so...But need to try this oath in Felgana one day ! I have a PSP but I don't have the game but I must buy it one day (I didn't play my PSP for a very long time...)
Hope the others could gave you an answer soon ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby tilinelson2 » Tue Mar 20, '12, 9:33 pm

I am not sure about what is included in this version, but it looks likeit has some enhancements, though nothing related to the PSP enhancements. I have seen a comparison between the versions on XSeed forum and if I had to choose, I'd prefer the PSP version, but I have no need to choose because I already have the PSP game.

You will be missing some voices, gallery and the prologue, but gameplay and story seems to be the same, so I think it is a good alternative for someone who doesn't own a PSP.

Can't wait for Ys Origins, soon to be released on Steam.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby tilinelson2 » Tue Mar 20, '12, 9:44 pm

myau56 wrote:Nope for me : I didn't play at all on PC and I never used steam so...But need to try this oath in Felgana one day ! I have a PSP but I don't have the game but I must buy it one day (I didn't play my PSP for a very long time...)
Hope the others could gave you an answer soon ! :)

If I'm not mistaken, Oath in Felghana is pretty cheap on PSN, between US$10 and 15. Ys Seven should be around that as well. As I said, I'd rather get the PSP version, because I value the extra art and scenes.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Postby myau56 » Tue Mar 20, '12, 9:55 pm

For me, it's sure it's gonna be the PSP version as I don't own a Playstation 3 (maybe one day but I'm not sure !!!) and so I didn't have the Playstation Network...
Ah you have the PSP version ? Maybe one day for me but like I said before, the game wasn't released in Europe but I'll try ebay and other sites.
Voices, gallery and the prologue ? There is a lot of "bonus/omake" things on the portable device !
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Wanderer From Ys » Wed Mar 21, '12, 12:29 am

Thoul, what enhancements are you referring to? I've played through the PC version quite a few times, and I would highly recommend it. It's one of the best games in the entire series. I own the PSP version, but I haven't played through it, so I can't comment on how they compare, but the PC version is great.

On the subject of Ys III, In finally imported the Ys III remake for PS2, It's a great version of the game. My biggest complaint is that well............it's in Japanese. It doesn't really matter though since I know the story so well. I'm considering the IV and V remakes as well, but I don't know if I'd enjoy them as much since I wouldn't know what was going on. No version of Ys V has been translated, not even by fans.
Wanderer From Ys
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 18

Postby tilinelson2 » Wed Mar 21, '12, 1:12 am

Myau, you don't need a PS3 to access the PSN. If you own a PSP, you can download Media Go from Sony, and buy PSP games from PSN for it. I used to do it before I bought my PS3.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Postby Thoul » Wed Mar 21, '12, 2:52 am

Wanderer From Ys wrote:Thoul, what enhancements are you referring to?

My understanding, and this is just from looking at a couple of topics on GameFAQs and what tili said above, is that the PSP version is a port of the PC version, with voice acting, a gallery, and some other stuff (mostly unspecified) added. This version on Steam is apparently identical to the original PC version, just translated to English and with Steam feature support (cloud saving, achievements).
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

PreviousNext

Return to Retro Roundup