How much should video games cost?

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

How much should video games cost?

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Jan 10, '09, 6:18 pm

Have you looked at the price of any video games lately? Some of them are $30.00, $40.00, $50.00, or more. These are mostly new games, of course. Do you think that's a little too high? Or is that amount reasonable for an item such as a video game?

Of course, the price of video games (like everything else) is only going to sky rocket and get higher possibly as time goes on.

How much do you think video games should cost? What's a reasonable amount that you wouldn't mind spending on a game?
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Sat Jan 10, '09, 9:59 pm

$30 or $40 is a good price IMO. $50 is okay for a really great title. When you go over that, to $60 or more, that's a bit too high in my opinion.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby hugues » Sun Jan 11, '09, 12:59 am

Hey, Phantasy Star IV was $89.99 when it launched, no joke, same for the Genesis version of Virtua Racing. Nowadays that will get you one of those fancy "collectors editions" box sets.

I usually wait until games go to $20 except for new Zelda games which I almost always buy at the launch price. I've also been stocking-up on PS2 games now that there are tons for under $10 at every game store.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Lucas » Sun Jan 11, '09, 8:47 am

Video games in Australia on a new release have a very high price. New release Wii games cost any where between $120-$80. Second hand games are usually quite cheap. I think the most expensive second hand game I saw was $70.00. It was called ICO apparently it is a very rare game. But I think games should be $50 or under in price it sounds fair enough to me. :wink:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Jan 11, '09, 8:59 pm

Lucas wrote:I think the most expensive second hand game I saw was $70.00. It was called ICO apparently it is a very rare game. But I think games should be $50 or under in price it sounds fair enough to me. :wink:

Yeah, ICO is a bit of a rare one. It's related to Shadow of the Colossus, which you can find for 20 bucks in most stores pretty easily.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Lemina » Mon Jan 12, '09, 4:54 pm

hugues wrote:Hey, Phantasy Star IV was $89.99 when it launched, no joke, same for the Genesis version of Virtua Racing. Nowadays that will get you one of those fancy "collectors editions" box sets.

And that was before all of this inflation.

Lucas wrote:Video games in Australia on a new release have a very high price. New release Wii games cost any where between $120-$80.

:O

$30-$50 is a pretty good price for solid, popular, and new games. They're not really good prices for games that are a couple of years old, however. I've been eying the Mario Party games for the GCN at my GameStop for years and they're still at the $30 and above price tag. :duh:

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Return to General Gaming