Numan Revolution - Full review

Discover the secret of Mother Brain's technological advanced world.

Re: Numan Revolution - Full review

Postby Tanith » Thu Dec 11, '14, 12:14 am

R-90-2 wrote:The thing about the original PS2 is that, for the most part, the tyranny of Mother Brain was a subtle thing that our heroes don't really smack into until after wrecking Climatrol, but then I roll down with this thing and it's like cartoon villainy when it's not outright counterfactual, such as banning free speech (counterfactual) travel (teleport stations still work) invention (lies) and personal property (then why are there shops and money?). It's not taking something that was at ten and turning it up to 11, it's taking something that was at more like three or four.
Yes, exactly. I'll add that almost everything in the shops in this hack are more affordable than the original, which, on a meta level, suggests that things aren't as bad as they seem. I don't know how far you've gotten, but I almost quit playing this hack after Biosystems. The was no reason to "fix" the historical data on the recorder. It provided enough information to move the game along. Then the Commander's speech devolves into a "this is why I chose you and your companions" explanation. I was ready to ditch the game at that point.

I also don't understand why the concepts of cloning (Clone Labs are now Trauma Centers) and teleportation (Teleportation Centers are now called Airdrops and use ships) were taken out of Numan Revolution. I understand that both concepts require more than a little suspension of disbelief, and cloning is an especially hard pill to swallow following Nei's death, but by taking them out of the game, you take away some of what is unique about PSII. Not to mention, the changes to death and cloning are not applied thoroughly throughout the game. In battle, you "faint," but if you try to use an unconscious person's techniques or belongings outside of battle, the character is "dead" like in the original game.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby R-90-2 » Thu Dec 11, '14, 8:40 pm

By the way, someone mentioned before that the population of Mota seemed surprisingly rebellious? Well, after looking through the library files- and I double-checked because I had to be sure I wasn't seeing things- They altered the timeline, too. In this version, Mother Brain first appeared only less then forty years ago, as opposed to being around and in control for 400-plus years like in the original PS2.

So, given time allowances for project completion and patterns of human settlement, the way things have gone down in NM is that Mother Brain shows up, sets up and completes the terraforming and cities on Mota, and begins to screw things up almost immediately after people have really just started to get settled in, rather than causing a crisis after centuries of peaceful, harmless prosperity.
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Postby Aeroprism » Fri Dec 12, '14, 12:40 am

Just get to the epilooooooogue ;-)
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby Zio_Falz » Fri Dec 12, '14, 2:06 am

I feel bad for whoever made that game hack.
Reading these must be painful.
Zio_Falz
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 58

Postby Aeroprism » Fri Dec 12, '14, 2:13 am

Why? The guy has to have faith in his choices and his decisions. When I make a remix, if people don't like it, though call, it's my remix.

Sure, it never hurts fo have a second opinion but an artist's vision is his an his alone.

That said, I have thoroughly enjoyed this hack and praised it appropriately. The story was dubious but it doesn't matter: PS2's true story is still in my head. His system changes are amazing and that alone is the bulk of the hack.

You should read some of the comments people said about my music here BEFORE I joined. You'd laugh.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Postby Tanith » Fri Dec 12, '14, 3:51 am

Okay, I'm running into a bit of an annoyance in that I don't like guessing which character can equip which items. I've tried to equip the ceramic cape to both Shir and Amy, and no dice. I decided to check the readme file, but there's nothing more specific than "go ahead and try old equipment on new characters." All right, but why is some of the old equipment less inclusive? I need a guide!! :P
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Postby Tanith » Fri Dec 12, '14, 11:07 am

I can't get the code to work. Someone explain it to me step-by-step, because apparently I'm too dumb to use it. I'm using Kega Fusion. I add the code when Rolf is in his house? Then turn it off when he leaves? What am I doing wrong?
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Postby Aeroprism » Fri Dec 12, '14, 12:55 pm

I'm unfortunately only familiar with GENS which is the most bestest Genesis emulator that you should always use.

Game genie codes being what they are, the procedure should be similar. The only place where the game validates your roster is when you leave Paris's house so to be safe, you need the code to be enabled before, during and after the house trip. After that, the game doesn't care. All the code does is "Replace character in the second slot (I think) with Nei.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Postby Zio_Falz » Fri Dec 12, '14, 1:03 pm

Aeroprism wrote:Why?

You should read some of the comments people said about my music here BEFORE I joined. You'd laugh.

Why? I just think that he or she may be discouraged from constructive criticism.

I find it hard to believe your music was critiqued. Your arrangements and remixes are on point.
Zio_Falz
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 58

Postby Tanith » Fri Dec 12, '14, 1:14 pm

Zio_Falz wrote:I find it hard to believe your music was critiqued.
*cough* I had nothing to do with that criticism, I swear. <_< >_> I said some good things about Aero's music, too!
Last edited by Tanith on Fri Dec 12, '14, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

PreviousNext

Return to Phantasy Star II