Numan Revolution - Full review

Discover the secret of Mother Brain's technological advanced world.

Re: Numan Revolution - Full review

Postby Tanith » Tue Dec 9, '14, 5:08 pm

Aeroprism wrote:Seriously. Get to the epilogue. Lose faith in all fandom, forever. Here's a great, yet non-spoiling teaser: DarkForce is a really efficient contractor.
*sigh* I kind of get the feeling I know where it's going now.

I finished up the Darum saga. So that turned out to be a totally anvilicious parable dropped straight onto Rolf's head, you know, rather than it be a random act of terrorism to show just how much control "MB" has lost. That's just waaaaaaay too subtle a point to make. Rolf even said something like "I will always question my orders from now on!" Great, Rolf. Glad Teim had to die for you to learn your lesson.

The result of the group's trip through Biosystems was more straightforward, thankfully. No heavy-handed moralizing. Not sure how I feel about everyone being so openly rebellious. In the original game, it seemed like most people thought Mother Brain could be fixed or replaced or there was nothing wrong in the first place, so let me go back to walking around in circles and not working for a living tra-la-la. A bit eerie. Now, about 89% of the population is ready to gather laser pitchforks and storm Palm, if they could just get out of this plastic bubble surrounding the city....
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby R-90-2 » Wed Dec 10, '14, 1:04 am

Parma Ham wrote:
Basically, the only reason to play this hack is for the gameplay changes. I think it's nice in theory that there's a new story. But it's like Aero says: the way of fanboyism is pure madness. :hypnotized: :wink:

The prospect of fanboy stupid is actually now making me want to give the hack a try, if you'll believe it, in the same way that people come to take a look at train wrecks. :)
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Postby Snorb » Wed Dec 10, '14, 5:28 am

Awww, I was wondering whether I'd need an animated GIF of that guy from Scanners or the Ark of the Covenant scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark to convey my reaction to the PSII revisionism! =p

(Seriously, though, who the hell is Andrei?)
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Tanith » Wed Dec 10, '14, 6:06 am

Snorb wrote:(Seriously, though, who the hell is Andrei?)
He's a "freedom fighter" according to Teim. (From what I can tell, the hack was first published in 2007, so I'm not surprised to see hot topic terminology of the mid-00s in it.)

To be fair to the creator of Numan Revolution, I want to be clear that I acknowledge the impressive amount of work they put into the hack. As someone said upthread (Parma Ham, I think?), it's worth playing for the stat boosts and equipment improvements, and thankfully you can ignore talking to any regular ol' civilians in PSII, hack or not. I don't think there's a single trigger based on talking to random townspeople. In fact, I had to force myself to talk to the people in the cities, because I've played the game so many times I don't bother with that anymore.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Aeroprism » Wed Dec 10, '14, 12:40 pm

Just wait for the epilogue.

Just wait.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby R-90-2 » Wed Dec 10, '14, 2:08 pm

Parma Ham wrote:But hey, knock yourself out. :mrgreen:

Well, I just saw Shir's new super-edgy background, so I may have to keep that as an option.
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby Snorb » Wed Dec 10, '14, 2:50 pm

R-90-2 wrote:
Well, I just saw Shir's new super-edgy background, so I may have to keep that as an option.

Shir: What?! Super-edgy!? I'm not supposed to be super-edgy and dark and ::angst::! >_<
Rolf: Uh, Shir, calm down. It's just a rom hack.
Shir: How come Amy gets to keep the same background and eat shortcake all day?! I'm supposed to be cool and flighty and fun personified, not hardcore edgy! I'm stealing that guy's keyboard until he fixes this. >_<
Amy: ...please don't get me involved ;_;
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby R-90-2 » Wed Dec 10, '14, 10:20 pm

So, I'm not that far in, and I'm already reminded of Yoshiyuki Tomino's statement in an interview that "Fans of anime should not make anime." Basically, people who are fanboyish about some things will be all about throwing in things they personally find cool without concerning themselves with how it fits in with good storytelling. I mention this not because I have actually hit any of the big story beats yet, but because I actually took the time to look at the library files.

The thing about the original PS2 is that, for the most part, the tyranny of Mother Brain was a subtle thing that our heroes don't really smack into until after wrecking Climatrol, but then I roll down with this thing and it's like cartoon villainy when it's not outright counterfactual, such as banning free speech (counterfactual) travel (teleport stations still work) invention (lies) and personal property (then why are there shops and money?). It's not taking something that was at ten and turning it up to 11, it's taking something that was at more like three or four.

I have zero complaints about the play changes, though. Being able to pick everyone from the beginning is great 'cause everyone started at level 1 with beginner gear anyways.
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby Aeroprism » Wed Dec 10, '14, 11:09 pm

Fans can do great things when they work in team so there can be some sort of filter control.

Just look at what Working Design did with Lunar on the PSX. That was fan work and it was -awesome-.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby Zio_Falz » Wed Dec 10, '14, 11:27 pm

While I do like some WD localisations, I feel they could have benefited from filter control too in the translations. The corny jokes and toilet humor are too much.

Lunar on PSX did have great localisation though. I swear, when one holds that heavy boxed packaging, it glows. Come to think of it, WD was never skimpy or cheap on any of their games, even when they faced bankruptcy.

Whenever it occurs, I hope the PS Generation 2 fan-translation stays faithful to its original.
Zio_Falz
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 58

PreviousNext

Return to Phantasy Star II