New Generational RPG in the Works

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

New Generational RPG in the Works

Postby Tanith » Sat Jun 8, '13, 6:57 am

And it's somewhat relevant to a Phantasy Star message board, because of Phantasy Star III.

Massive Chalice, a new Kickstarter-backed project by Double Fine Productions, will be a multi-generational tactical RPG in a fantasy setting, scheduled for release next year.

In the game, you determine the fate of your bloodline, whether you keep your heroes on the battlefield until they die, or retire them to start a new generation of heroes. You pass on unique relics to your descendants, and you can permanently alter your bloodline by performing magical experiments on your heroes.

I am uber excited about this game! I'm such a big fan of smaller, independent game companies like Double Fine. I'm a little surprised they're going with a traditional fantasy RPG... no, make that pleasantly surprised, because they could bring something new to the genre. It seems 2014 is going to be a good year for new releases!
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Re: New Generational RPG in the Works

Postby Thoul » Thu Jul 4, '13, 6:30 am

It certainly sounds like a promising combination of ideas! None of these ideas sound new individually, but putting them all together in this package could make for a really great game. Maybe this will give the tactical genre a much needed boost.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Atlinsmere » Thu Jul 4, '13, 10:04 am

I ended up preorder the $35 one. And they said they're giving all backers who paid 35$ or more a second copy. I'm probably going to just give it away to a friend. Looking forward to this game, as I think it should be fun.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Tanith » Sun Jul 7, '13, 6:36 am

You have a lucky friend, Atlin!

Thoul wrote:It certainly sounds like a promising combination of ideas! None of these ideas sound new individually, but putting them all together in this package could make for a really great game. Maybe this will give the tactical genre a much needed boost.
Also, Double Fine has an individual style that I'm really looking forward to see put to use in a more traditional RPG like this one. The last tactical game I played was a real stinker, but then again it was a budget game (Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment), so yeah, I'd like to see the genre regroup a bit.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby myau56 » Sun Feb 23, '14, 10:32 am

The artworks for the game to come are great ! Beautiful pictures. Did someone have some news fropm the developers or from the game itself ?
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Thoul » Wed Jul 16, '14, 8:43 am

It seems they're still working on the game, from a quick glance at their blog: http://blog.massivechalice.com/. Some kind of bonus for backers who paid a lot and get some sort of representation in the game is going to end a couple of days. I couldn't find anything about an expected release date, but I didn't look too hard either.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Atlinsmere » Sun Nov 16, '14, 3:09 am

I am currently playing this game during Early Access. It's a lot of fun, a bit slow so far. So far I've noticed that I'm enjoying the Hunter class characters for their range and ability to go stealth.

I felt like doing a bit more of a review to tell you about the game, but instead I'm going to go play it some more. Feel free to ask me about the game and I'll answer all questions.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Return to In the News