Non video games.

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Non video games.

Postby Atolm » Mon Jul 23, '07, 4:27 am

Anyone ever played table top games? A fan of board games? Card games?

I use to play the d-20 game Rifts some time ago, do not remember too much of it now though. It was quite fun though! It was the robotech campaign too! I am a big robotech fan! :)

Also back in my high school days, I use to play Magic: The Gathering, I still do play the game when the right friends are over, which has been rare lately. =/ My cards are collecting dust now sadly.

So how about? What other games do you enjoy that do not fall under video games?
Atolm
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 27

Re: Non video games.

Postby Atlinsmere » Mon Jul 23, '07, 7:12 am

I like games such as Backgammon, Chess, Checker, Go Fish, Texas Hold em', Snakes and Ladders, etc.

I also have many Magic cards, but I just more or less collect them instead of play them. I like the pictures on them...
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Divine Dragon » Mon Jul 23, '07, 4:03 pm

I never got too into Magic.. I had played a few games with a friend.. it was alright and all..

I was however, a very large Yu-Gi-Oh fan. I joined a club and everything, battling the other players, usually quite successfully.

I then sold my cards because I just beat my friends too much.. I'm serious. When you beat your rival fifteen times in a row... it loses it's edge..
Divine Dragon
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 20

Postby Thoul » Tue Jul 24, '07, 12:47 am

I play checkers sometimes. I like to play Monopoly, but I haven't in a long time due to how long it takes.

I used to play Magic: TG, but I got out of it after high school. My cards have been in storage, but lately I've brought a few out to sell on eBay.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Snorb » Tue Jul 24, '07, 1:50 am

Big D&D fan here- I've got enough dead characters to make a fully functional party x_X Does that mean I play way too much?

Every so often, I play Axis & Allies with my friends (never was too good at that...), as well as Magic, Trump: The Board Game, and The Omega Virus.

Oh, yeah, and from time to time, I also LARP- I'm not very good at it, because I'm a bit shy and fail at swordistry. =/
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Jul 24, '07, 3:56 am

Atolm, this a great thread. Thanks for starting it. I've bumped a few older polls up which dealt with a few of these subjects also, specifically card games and board games. I thought it might be nice in case some of our newer members wanted to participate in the polls too.

I enjoy playing many different board games - different versions of Monopoly (a lot of them out there now), Sorry, Scrabble, Checkers, Chess (although I'm not very good at it), Chinese Checkers, Trivia Board games, Yahtzee, and some others.

I never have played Magic The Gathering, but I enjoy playing the card game Rook, and Rummy, some Poker, Solitaire, etc.
Happy St. Patrick's Day ~ March 17, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Neithird » Tue Jul 24, '07, 4:11 am

It's been ages since I played a game that wasn't a video game. I used to play some card games like rummy or Rook, and of course others when I was little. A few board games here and there, too. I used to love Battleship. :clap:
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Atolm » Tue Jul 24, '07, 9:14 pm

I use to enjoy playing Checkers with my Grandfather, he even taught me Chess once. Now my boyfriend and I play when we can, but he is much better at it! Those two were pretty much the only board games I have ever played. We did not have a big collection.

Ah Snorb! LARPing eh? Was the SCA any interest to you? My boyfriend almost joined it, but decided against it as he wanted more.. I guess.. Tactics in the war instead of running up and beating the holy hell out of each other.

I may be playing Magic soon as well! My friend in the UK will be spending his holiday with us, and I got him into Magic the last time he was here. He may even beat me this time! :lol:
Dark Force: This is the best chocolate cupcake EVAR! *stuffs face*
Atolm
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 27

Postby Snorb » Wed Jul 25, '07, 4:20 am

Atolm wrote:Ah Snorb! LARPing eh? Was the SCA any interest to you? My boyfriend almost joined it, but decided against it as he wanted more.. I guess.. Tactics in the war instead of running up and beating the holy hell out of each other.

Actually, it wasn't the SCA, it was a NJ-based group called Mystic Realms. I've been to a few of their events (they run fantasy, scifi, superheroes- yes, a superhero LARP =p, and the rarely-run Horrors and Modern), and played one of their games at DexCon 10. Check 'em out at mysticrealms.com (warning! Site may set off antivirus/spyware filters!)

Can't believe I forgot about chess and checkers- both classic and Chinese. And Nine Men's Morris. And Monopoly. And Stratego. And Risk. And Mille Bornes (which I still have in my cabinet) >_<
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Divine Dragon » Wed Jul 25, '07, 6:43 am

*makes notes* Atolm is either female, homosexual or bisexual.

I like knowing these things, not that either of those options is any kind of discrepancy in my eyes.

Non-video games I enjoy... I've already mentioned Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic, but I was also very big on D&D during my time in Secondary School. We had a fabulous DM.. who was also up for a little bribery, if you know what I mean.. XD

This wasn't attained from such bribes, but I remember attaining something I always seek in D&D, Vampirism.. I simply love Vampires. So to become one, was wonderful. We slew an Infernal Dragon.
I first, cast a shrouding spell around it.. with quite a radius, then jumped up, also shrouded, and took my full vampiric form, rending the Dragon's scales, pulling apart to reach it's heart, and then my friendly Mage companion, Chizzy's character, send a surge of electricity to it's heart. The DM decided this was it, and the Dragon defeated. I then managed to remove some intact scales successfully, with many failures, and then forged some armour..

Good times, though shortly after the DM ruled me too powerful and we had to restart.. :p Whether what we did was.. legal in the realm of D&D did not matter, as we had so much fun..
Divine Dragon
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 20

Next

Return to General Gaming