Noah's Ark found!

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Re: Noah's Ark found!

Postby MrRoivas » Thu Apr 29, '10, 8:05 pm

Tell that to the guy who found the "ark." He's a creationist, and no doubt thinks that everything in the bible needs to be taken literally.
How can you hope to defeat me, if you're not wearing any pants?
MrRoivas
Hunter
Hunter

Achievements: 8

Postby Schala Zeal » Fri Apr 30, '10, 3:33 am

I consider myself fairly religious, but I'm a little skeptical. I don't think it'd be too weird to think that Noah's Ark most likely didn't survive the tides of time. :rofl:
Schala Zeal
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 21

Postby Tanith » Fri Apr 30, '10, 6:35 am

I doubt it's the Ark. I'm not even sure there was a real Ark, and if there was, I don't believe it was exactly as described in the Bible (though the Bible is pretty specific about its dimensions). I consider myself Christian, but I don't take many Biblical stories literally. I consider them allegory for moral living during a period in history of scant science and research.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby MrRoivas » Fri Apr 30, '10, 4:06 pm

With some of the stories, even calling them allegory is a bit of a stretch. Take the story of Noah for example. What kind of moral or lesson could one learn from that? Well, other than that one must obey God in all things.
MrRoivas
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Apr 30, '10, 9:30 pm

MrRoivas wrote: Take the story of Noah for example. What kind of moral or lesson could one learn from that? Well, other than that one must obey God in all things.

That's a pretty good answer! I think you may have just answered your own question. :wink:
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Lemina » Sat May 1, '10, 12:24 am

Schala Zeal wrote:I consider myself fairly religious, but I'm a little skeptical. I don't think it'd be too weird to think that Noah's Ark most likely didn't survive the tides of time. :rofl:

I'm with you, Schala. Wasn't the Ark made of wood? Sadly, wood wouldn't survive to this day.

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby MrRoivas » Sat May 1, '10, 7:17 am

That's a pretty good answer! I think you may have just answered your own question. :wink:

I guess I just don't think that's a very good moral.

For example, if a powerful being told me to kill me son, I would tell him to go climb a tree. And fall down. Face first. On every branch.
MrRoivas
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Tanith » Sat May 1, '10, 2:51 pm

Obedience to God is important to Christians, however. Hence why the Bible includes the stories of Noah and Abraham/Isaac. They're both extreme examples of obedience and sacrifice, which is why I would never take them literally. They aren't going to apply to non-believers, so I understand where you're coming from.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Postby MrRoivas » Sat May 1, '10, 3:20 pm

The thing is though, I think obeying such a command is immoral, for anyone. And obeying such a command simply as a show of loyalty would be revolting.

There's no need for this argument to be theoretical. There have been people who have their children for the sake of their religious beliefs.

http://www.childrenshealthcare.org/victims.htm

This website is just a sampling.
MrRoivas
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Tanith » Sat May 1, '10, 4:32 pm

I'm aware that there are people that neglect, hurt and even wind up killing their children due to their religious beliefs. I find it deplorable and my god has declared killing a sin. In my opinion the story of Abraham's willingness to sacrifice Isaac in the name of God points to the eventual sacrifice of Jesus Christ. This has gone way off topic of the recent "Ark" discovery, so I hope we can get this back on topic.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

PreviousNext

Return to Casual Conversation