No Alis fanart here.

Have you tried your hand at fan art or original art? Show us here!

No Alis fanart here.

No Alis fanart here.

View Gallery Page

No Alis fanart here.

Postby Xander » Mon Sep 6, '10, 8:35 pm

At least, not yet. She's a work in progress. I forgot how hard it was to draw someone you've never done before. I'll maybe post up my test piece later for you all to laugh at. :p

Anyway, in the meantime, here's something I drew over the weekend, seeing how I had nothing to do and as the old saying goes, practice makes perfect. besides, I had to make up for that god-awful Rika piece I submitted last time. :D

The background was more of an afterthought, as I said on my DeviantArt page. (shameless plug) But I'm glad I did because plain white backgrounds aren't so great, my gradient backgrounds are getting old and CG stuff doesn't go well with stuff coloured with pencils. It seems to ahve helped the picture pop more than normal, thouhg the scanning process almost removes all of that. ><

Anyhoo, enjoy it folks, I'm going to continue working on Alis and hopefully I'll be able to provide something more finished looking in the coming future. :)
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Re: No Alis fanart here.

Postby H-Man » Mon Sep 6, '10, 8:53 pm

I like this, better than the last two drawings of Rika. She looks herself and more natural, and the proportions, especially with the head and the rest of the body, are better.

Two things to point out:

1) She does look a bit "healthy" in the chest area, but that's more of an observation than a praise or criticism.

2) The left sleeve (her left, not ours) looks a little funny because it seems narrow at the shoulder and wider at the bicep. While the clothing may be designed that way, it kind makes her arm look a little out of proportion.

That said, it's still a pleasant drawing. Yay!
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

Image Fringes Official Monocled Gentleman.

Image MADE A NEW FATE Achievement.
H-Man
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 110

Postby Atlinsmere » Mon Sep 6, '10, 9:50 pm

And the only thing I'll add to that is her neck looks a little thick/short. But seriously Xander, this s awesome. Very awesome indeed. =D

Another thing you could try sometime for backgrounds is make a seperate background, scan it, then scan your character, and put your character on your background. It'll get rid of the sort of glowing effect Rika has going on for her here. =D
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Xander » Mon Sep 6, '10, 10:07 pm

Thanks guys. :D Glad you like it.

H-Man, yeah the chest. It's always something I find myself redrawing most times. My main fear is that I'll give a character a ridiculously huge chest, which isn't something I'm keen on. As for the sleeve, I suppose knowing what it is they're wearing is important, a full body drawing would show it as it should be, but the main reason is that she's wearing very baggy sleeves in this one that just hang on her shoulders. If I'd drawn this out full size, as I might do one day when I'm bored, then you'd see.

Anyway, that's how it is. I'll see what I can do for your idea Atlin. It makes sense for sure though the glowy effect actually looks quite cool on the actual drawing. But seeing how my scanner is as bright as a spotlight it makes the white stand out more. :p It makes my eyes sting just looking at it here.

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Postby Thoul » Tue Sep 7, '10, 12:23 am

This is a great piece, Xander. You've really come a long way. I can't find a single thing to suggest improvement on here. The expression is great, as are the colors and the outfit. The proportions are right on in my opinion. The background and the shading turned out well. This is just excellently done. :)
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Sep 7, '10, 1:02 am

I more less second what Thoul said.

Also, who says we'll laugh at your first Alis piece? ;)
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Lucas » Tue Sep 7, '10, 5:37 am

Awesome! Xander I love all this Rika Fanart. Can’t wait to see your Alis :)

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Solar » Tue Sep 7, '10, 11:10 am

Out of all your Rika fanarts to this point, this has absolutely the best form, particularly her head. I don't quite get the costume she's wearing, but it's nice.
Solar
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 89

Postby Xander » Tue Sep 7, '10, 3:49 pm

Well thanks guys. :) It goes without saying I'm quite pleased with how this one turned out as well and that I appreciate your feedback. The shading might look a bit different from normal, but that's because I switched from a peachy coloured pencil to something more resembling a skin tone. The peachy colour was often quite hard to control in application.

Solar, seeing how you're not the first one to say so, I think I'll go and draw this one full size at a later point and post it up here. It's an odd outfit indeed. Maybe I should have thrown in a raised arm or something. If anything though, it gives me an excuse to do another full size Rika fanart piece. :p

EDIT: Seeing how some of you are somehow interested, here's that practice Alis piece I mentioned earlier.
Last edited by Xander on Tue Sep 7, '10, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Sep 7, '10, 4:02 pm

Xander, I'm not gonna laugh at that. ;)

It's quite a good piece! Obviously, there's room for improvements, of course. It may be the angle, but her left arm looks longer than her right. Her left leg also looks thicker than her right (again, angle maybe?) But just little things. Good for your first! :up:
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Next

Return to Artwork