Nintendo Wii 2 ???

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Nintendo Wii 2 ???

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Apr 19, '11, 12:28 am

Could there be a Nintendo Wii 2 game console coming soon??

Found an interesting article about that topic:

http://ingame.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/ ... on-the-way

The mentioned price slash on the original Nintendo Wii sounds good also. :mrgreen:

Comments or Opinions?
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Nintendo Wii 2 ???

Postby Oakley2284 » Tue Apr 19, '11, 2:51 am

I have read on another site that the name of the project of the second wii is : Project Cafe... I don't know if that will be the name of the new nintendo though ^^
Oakley AW2284, on planet Motavia
Oakley2284
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 105

Postby Thoul » Tue Apr 19, '11, 10:43 pm

Wii is starting to show it's age more than the competing consoles. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new Nintendo console in the next year or two. I hope it at least retains backward compatibility with the Wii, GameCube, and Virtual Console games. With the new Zelda game likely coming later this year, playing Wii titles would be almost necessary for a new Nintendo console to succeed.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Aeroprism » Wed Apr 20, '11, 2:37 pm

Gamers these days focus mainly on graphical quality when looking for games and the Current Wii uses a GPU similar to the GameCube. This is why Nintendo went toward the family/interactive route.

However, with the awesome Kinect and the not so-awesome Playstation Move, Nintendo has now to compete.

So yeah, gadgets are no longer a niche, Nintendo needs to up their specs a bit.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby Wing Eye » Thu Apr 21, '11, 7:00 am

A screen in the controller? Holy Dreamcast Batman! Is it 1999 again? This does sound cool, though, as long as games don't rely too much on it.

I hope they call it the Super Wii :D
Check out my Phantasy Star parody comic
http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Phantasy_Star_Replay
Wing Eye
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 297

Postby Thoul » Thu Apr 21, '11, 11:03 pm

That screen thing makes me wonder if the controller will have any physical buttons. With touchscreen technology making so many advances, it may only be a matter of time until buttons are completely removed from console controllers.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Wing Eye » Fri Apr 22, '11, 1:16 am

I hope and pray that the controller will have physical buttons, I hate touch screen controls with every fiber of my being. Touch screen controls can add some cool features, but it will never replace the feel, response, and accuracy of real buttons.
Check out my Phantasy Star parody comic
http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Phantasy_Star_Replay
Wing Eye
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 297

Postby Thoul » Mon Apr 25, '11, 6:53 pm

Well, it seems Nintendo has now confirmed that they will be announcing their next console system at E3 in June. The console won't be out until after April 2012 and they've yet to release a name for it. The CEO of Nintendo has been quoted as saying that the Wii can no longer easily surprise users, so the new system is meant to introduce something new to the gaming experience.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Aeroprism » Tue Apr 26, '11, 4:19 pm

"Our newest console's controllers will sent jolts of electricity at you if you suck at games."

That would surprise me.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby Tanith » Wed Apr 27, '11, 8:40 am

Aeroprism wrote:However, with the awesome Kinect and the not so-awesome Playstation Move, Nintendo has now to compete.

The Move is really good, much more responsive than the Wii. Kinect has a ton of response issues.

The Wii's processor is twice as fast as the Cube's and it can compete with their MotionPlus and the fact that it has many more games to offer, comparatively-speaking, under its motion-control technology than the more recent Move and Kinect. However, all of this will probably end up being flash-in-the-pan gimmicks, anyway. Anyone who's smart knows that gaming is moving into the casual market, with games like Angry Birds and Farmville. I can't say either interests me, but that's what's capturing attention these days: Games that are apps and can be played on any device, not exclusive to a giant gaming console. People don't like forking over big dollars for an exclusive console with no mobility, and I can't say I blame them. That's the way the world is moving, and if these game companies want to keep up, they better work towards games that can move around, from your phone to your console to your PSP to your iPad to your laptop.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Next

Return to Tech and Design