Two New Trade-in options

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

Two New Trade-in options

Postby Thoul » Fri Mar 6, '09, 11:23 pm

Those of you who trade in games when you're finished with them might find this interesting. Two new places have started a trade in business. The first is the ever popular Amazon.com. Their new Video Games Trade In offers gift card credit for the value of the game. It's sort of like store credit, but it can used on a lot more stuff than just other games.

The other new option is Donate Games, which promises a tax deduction for for donated games. It's not the same as a real trade-in; you still get a credit, but you can't use it until you file your taxes. They claim they'll sell the donated games and put the proceeds toward research in curing diseases. I can't help but notice they aren't actually selling games yet.

Any thoughts on either of these?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby LordShibas » Sat Mar 7, '09, 12:16 am

I buy almost exclusively from Amazon, and when I end up with clutter that I want to sell off, I go to a local game/movie/music Exchange Store to trade stuff in. They give me a heck of a lot more than Gamestop. In fact, I have not set foot in a Gamestop in years. The trade in deal with Amazon looks interesting, but I'd have to do some more research about it first.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby Darkil » Sat Mar 7, '09, 12:21 am

I'd probably research it as well. I enjoy going into to Gamestop to get something traded in because I can do it right then and there. Of course if Amazon gives me more I'd be glad to start going through them assuming there aren't any silly stipulations
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Thoul » Sat Mar 7, '09, 2:50 am

It looks like Toys R Us is trying out trade-ins, too. I kind of doubt they'll be better than the existing options, though. Especially given that Amazon or Gamestop are a lot easier to reach for most people.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to In the News