Nintendo sued over DS adapter

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

Nintendo sued over DS adapter

Postby Thoul » Sun Dec 21, '08, 9:40 am

Nintendo is being sued by a insurance company for a little more than $236,000. The company claims that a house fire was started by a faulty DS adapter in January, 2007. (The Article) The lawsuit claims that Nintendo knew the adapter was faulty because of a recall.

What it doesn't mention is that recall was only in Japan and didn't apply to adapters sold in the US, like the one in this case. Do you think Nintendo is at fault here? Should they recall these US adapters?

For that matter, do you have one of these that might be affected by a recall? Supposedly it is just the DS adapter and not the DS Lite adapter.

My DS is a Lite, so I'm not worried about that at the moment, but I did buy a normal DS adapter for by Game Boy Advance SP. It came used, without an adapter, and the DS adapter is compatible.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Darkil » Fri Mar 6, '09, 7:01 pm

I haven't heard anything regarding this. Any more news?
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Mar 6, '09, 7:54 pm

Boy, Nintendo sure gets sued a lot, or gets threats of lawsuit. This, people trying to sue them over wrist problems from using the wiimote, people suing them over accidentally throwing the wiimote, and of course, the link in my sig...list is long. Regardless, this is kind of silly. I don't think Nintendo is at fault, the recall was only in Japan, so I have a feeling it doesn't really apply in the states.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Fri Mar 6, '09, 9:03 pm

I haven't heard anything else about it. Either the case hasn't gone forward yet or it was resolved very quietly.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Mar 11, '09, 9:51 pm

This sounds fishy to me.

First it seems the Ins. company had no qualms in paying the insurance money to the homeowner to begin with ... either they had a very good, possibly no fault policy, or something. You would think if the Insurance company thought this was what started the fire, then they could " get out of paying " in some other way.

Second, are they absolutely certain that this was what started the fire, and do they have proof of it. Seems like they would definetely need that if they were to win any law suit.

Some of the comments printed below the article on this story make really good sense, about the DS only being recalled in Japan (not the US), etc. Also about it being the responsibility of the home owner when still using this even after it has been recalled somewhere, etc. Good points.

I don't think the Insurance company has any chance at all of winning this, and certainly not for that amount of money.

Nintendo seems to be fair game for everyone. I'm a bit surprised that the Insurance company would try and sue them over this.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Darkil » Thu Mar 12, '09, 12:22 am

Nintendo pioneered gaming to the extent it's in now and over the years The Big N has been sued over silly things left and right. I have no doubt that this is just another one of those law suits.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Lucas » Thu Mar 12, '09, 2:48 am

Personally I don't think the adapters should be recalled. Because at the end of the day it is the home owners responsibilty to check all electrical circuits in their home and always turn off the power swicth after a charge is over. That will reduce a fire trust me. Just common knowledge on electricity can make a big difference. BTW I have the original DS adapter and have had no trouble in the past 4 years of me owning it. :wink:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Return to In the News