Nintendo oldies but goodies

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Nintendo oldies but goodies

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Sep 8, '10, 7:08 am

Although many new video games are available for release and play very often, it seems that the classic games (or as I like to call them, the "oldies but goodies") just can't be beat no matter how you look at it.

Nintendo seems to think so also as they are focusing on some of their older and classic games for various comebacks in the gaming world.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/201 ... 2_ST_N.htm

Do you think this is a smart move in focusing on and bringing back versions of some of these oldies or classic games, or should they just stick with something new?

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Nintendo oldies but goodies

Postby Atlinsmere » Wed Sep 8, '10, 7:16 am

Honestly, I think it's a great idea bringing back some classic titles. Personally though, I'm looking forward to the new Donkey Kong Country game. Heck, my sister will be more excited than me to here that, and the coop mode will be epic. =D
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Thoul » Wed Sep 8, '10, 7:20 am

Nintendo will never give up on their big franchises. Zelda, Mario, Pokemon? Those are never going to end as long as Nintendo is around. They're way too huge, not only as games but also as merchandising. Metroid is getting to be up there as one of Nintendo's big franchises, as well.

Donkey Kong is pretty iconic, too. It tends to take little breaks after a while, though. I'd expect to see two, maybe three new Donkey Kong games before that series has a rest for a few years. Of course, the characters will probably have cameos in games like Smash Bros. in the meantime.

But even keeping those sure-fire sellers going doesn't mean Nintendo won't try new stuff. Every franchise has to start with a single game. Look at Pokemon - it started in 1996, which now seems like a good while back, but at the time it was something completely different from the already established Marios and Zeldas.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Sep 8, '10, 3:09 pm

I hope to see a new Pikmin game on the Wii, really. Not just the re-releases of the Gamecube titles. ;) That's something they could do interesting things with, if they tried, I think. That said...I don't mind Nintendo doing things that are tried and true, but I'd like to see more innovation, too.

Though, I will be honest, and I must bring this up because of what I am...I really don't know if I want to see them try to revive the Mother franchise, one reason being the developer, Shigesato Itoi, has said he was done with it after Mother 3. The other being that I think it's done. I hate seeing things that should be done be revived for the sake of reviving it. On the other hand...if they did it RIGHT and made a new game more like the first two games instead of the third...it could be awesome. On one hand, I want them to do something with it, on the other I'd rather they leave it alone. I'm going to bet on the latter.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Wed Sep 8, '10, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Return to Retro Roundup