Nintendo games with collectible figures

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Re: Nintendo games with collectible figures

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Apr 27, '16, 6:36 pm

I've seen ads for this in the Nintendo eShop. The problem I personally have with it is the limited number of amiibos that are fully compatible. I have 5 (Ness, Lucas, Mewtwo, Dark Pit and Donkey Kong) and the only one of those that's fully compatible is Donkey Kong. Apparently you can use any amiibo to play a limited selection of levels, but it gives you a generic character, not one based on the amiibo you scanned. I guess I do have to them some credit as this is at least free to play, but c'mon Nintendo - I think you can do more with your toys-to-life than you have. So far the best uses I've seen are the trainable Smash fighters and the Super Mario Maker skins (that do change sound effects and some elements of the platforming).

Side note: The Super Mario Maker skin when you scan Dark Pit is one of the creepier things I've seen in 8-bit graphics, and to counter that, the bizarre messed up version of the Kid Icarus death music if you die as him is hilarious.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Wed Apr 27, '16, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Previous

Return to Tech and Design