Nintendo cuts Wii U Shipment forecasts

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

Nintendo cuts Wii U Shipment forecasts

Postby S4Blade » Fri Jan 17, '14, 1:01 pm

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/17/ninte ... ts-for-fi/

They are cutting it from 9 million to 2.8 million. That's quite a drop. It looks like the 3DS is below their expectations as well.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Re: Nintendo cuts Wii U Shipment forecasts

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Jan 17, '14, 1:17 pm

Can't say this really surprises me.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby S4Blade » Fri Jan 17, '14, 8:04 pm

Apparently Nintendo is finally going to start re-thinking their company's direction.

Article: http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/17/iwata ... re-follow/

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Jan 17, '14, 8:11 pm

Finally. Geez, it sure took them long enough.
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Postby myau56 » Fri Jan 17, '14, 10:04 pm

Oh no ! Not Nintendo too on Smartphones :( But I'm sure that now it's an obligation for them, unfortunately ! But for me the 3DS sellings are great and it's deserving :) (Not sure that the word is right ! sorry...)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby S4Blade » Sat Jan 18, '14, 11:57 am

I'm not a fan of Nintendo making games on Smartphones. 3DS is saving their butts right now, and putting games on Smartphones is only going to hurt their 3DS sales. I refuse to play games on my Smartphone. No matter how interesting they might look. The virtual controls just irritate me. However, there are a lot of people that do, and it could be an untapped market for them. I guess we will have to wait and see.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby S4Blade » Sat Jan 18, '14, 1:57 pm

Wow, Nintendo's stock price dropped by 18% after these announcements.

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/ ... ght_after/

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Jan 18, '14, 2:13 pm

The fact that mobile gaming was specifically mentioned just….it really just does not bode well for Nintendo. That's not what a major game company should be turning to first when they start falling on some hardships. Sure, it can be a part of your new strategy, but if that's the first thing you turn to, I just don't see it going anywhere good for the future. Most people playing things on mobile devices seem to be casual gamers at best, just looking to pass some time while commuting or something of the sort.

Wolf Bird

Postby S4Blade » Sat Jan 18, '14, 3:51 pm

Wolf Bird wrote: Most people playing things on mobile devices seem to be casual gamers at best, just looking to pass some time while commuting or something of the sort.

That's one of the problems Nintendo is having. The casual gamers that were buying Wiis in droves have moved on to casual smartphone gaming. The Wii U is not enticing the casuals because they are preoccupied with their smartphones for their gaming fix.

Nintendo has angered the hardcore gamers with the Wii, and this leaves few people who are willing to throw down money for their system with little to no third party support.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby tilinelson2 » Sat Jan 18, '14, 5:49 pm

I think the problem with Nintendo was that their bets on DS and Wii, videogames using new technologies to provide new ways of playing games, was very smart, but the company itself failed to understand the reasons behind that success.

So they launched 3DS and Wii U with a novelty included, hoping it would repeat the predecessors' successes, but the difference was that both the 3D screen and the tablet controller don't change the way people play games. They are just gaming machines with some exclusives.

Where they can go now? I don't know. I don't think smartphones are the answer, because their business model would have to change completely, including the way their games are made. Other companies like Capcom, Sega and Square Enix are struggling to achieve success in smartphones. Although smartphone games is a market in ascension, especially in Japan, it is not the solution for every company.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Next

Return to In the News