Playstation 5

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

Playstation 5

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Jun 9, '14, 6:17 pm

Whoa, the Playstation 4 has only recently arrived but it seems they may already be thinking and planning for the next Playstation version:

https://games.yahoo.com/news/playstatio ... 17172.html

Is it too early to be thinking of another Playstation, or not?
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Playstation 5

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Jun 9, '14, 6:35 pm

Way too early. Relatively few have adopted the new systems as is, not many games are out, so already on the next? I know R&D takes time, but geez.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby myau56 » Mon Jun 9, '14, 9:41 pm

Totally ridiculous if it's the case ! :(
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby S4Blade » Mon Jun 9, '14, 11:02 pm

I think I read that a while ago. It's natural for companies to start ramping up for their next generation of systems right after the current one launches, so it's no surprise that the next consoles are in the works already. However, when the new consoles come out depends on how the generation goes.

The current generation of consoles just launched no too long ago and PC hardware and technology is so far ahead it's not even funny. It depends on how content gamers are with the systems. If they are selling well and games are selling well, then there is no need for the companies to rush out new systems to please fans. Kind of like what happened with the last generation.

On the flip side, there is plenty of technology out right now that could easily warrant another round of consoles in the next few years, but it depends on industry feedback and consumer demand. I think the companies will try to get the most they can out of the current gen once again and I would be surprised to see anything in the next 7 years. Maybe something from Nintendo, but that's about it.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Postby Dragonmaster Lou » Tue Jun 10, '14, 2:58 pm

Sounds like standard R&D talk to me. The average console generation is somewhere between 4-6 years or so. For example, the Genesis came out in the US in 1989 and the Saturn came out in 1995, if I remember correctly. Given how complicated modern consoles are, it probably takes several years of development to properly design the things.
Dragonmaster Lou
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 15

Return to In the News