Nintendo CEO dead

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

Nintendo CEO dead

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Jul 13, '15, 2:13 am

Satoru Iwata, CEO of Nintendo, has passed away at the age of 55:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolog ... cid=AARDHP

Condolences to Mr. Iwata's family. :tombstone: :rose:
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Nintendo CEO dead

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Jul 13, '15, 5:21 am

Iwata did a whole lot more than just be CEO of Nintendo for a number of years...he worked with HAL back in the day on games like the Kirby series, Earthbound and Balloon Fight. He also worked on Pokemon games, Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing...basically, if it's a Nintendo-related franchise, Iwata probably had his hands in it at some point. He did a LOT for the company in the last 20+ years. And he died way too young, and as the article details, it was due to tumors in his bile duct which can cause a whole host of life-threatening problems. This is a pretty big loss for gaming as a whole, especially Nintendo and its fans. May he RIP.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Darkil » Tue Jul 14, '15, 12:55 am

Iwata is pretty much the reason Earthbound was even released over here. The code was a buggy mess and he rewrote it mostly on his own. Not to mention he took Pokemon Red and Green, figured out the battle code, and ported it over to create Pokemon Stadium. He was a gifted programmer and so much more. #ThankyouIwata
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Jul 14, '15, 1:07 am

Yup. I did spend some time reading a little bit more of his history on my way home from work today while I was on the bus. He did a really great thing for the Earthbound/Mother franchise in particular, there is no question. I certainly don't agree with every decision he made while in a leadership position at Nintendo, but no matter how you cut it, it's a major loss, way too early.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Return to In the News