DS and Wii Online Play/Service Being Terminated

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

DS and Wii Online Play/Service Being Terminated

Postby S4Blade » Thu Feb 27, '14, 11:04 pm

Sources: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/27/ ... ds-and-wii

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/02/27/ninte ... ii-in-may/

On May 20th Nintendo is pulling the plug on the DS and the Wii for online gaming and online services. It looks like you will still be able to buy games from the eShop.

I think it's kind of crappy for nintendo to do this so soon, but it doesn't really affect me since I've never played my Wii or DS online.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Re: DS and Wii Online Play/Service Being Terminated

Postby myau56 » Fri Feb 28, '14, 12:09 pm

Even if I still have a DS (and plenty of games on this fabulous system !) and if I've never played online on this system, this is very early and too soon ! :( I'm sad for the people who were still playing online through this...(same for the WII).
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Feb 28, '14, 1:22 pm

Though this won't affect me personally (the only Wii game I did online was Smash Bros., but not very much as they never fixed the lag) this is a pretty bad PR move for them. WAY too early.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby S4Blade » Fri Feb 28, '14, 5:45 pm

Maybe they are trying to force people to buy a 3DS or a Wii U if they want to do their online gaming on a Nintendo system.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby myau56 » Fri Feb 28, '14, 9:58 pm

VistaBlade wrote:Maybe they are trying to force people to buy a 3DS or a Wii U if they want to do their online gaming on a Nintendo system.

That could be a good reason ! Especially for the WII U ! As wa can see, this console is far to be a real success...But I'm very sad for the people who were still playing online with them... :(
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Feb 28, '14, 10:04 pm

While it would be A reason, I'm not sure it's a good reason. Losing online play alone is not likely to push many Wii and DS owners onto the new systems, as honestly, most people I know who have these systems seldom use that feature. It's just way too early to be shutting these down. It may not be a perfect comparison, but imagine if Sony and Microsoft decided to shut down online capability for the PS3 and XBox 360 to try to get people to the new systems. It probably would not work (these systems are still expensive, lack of backward compatibility) and would likely only make their consumer base extremely angry. If trying to get people to the new systems is the reason for this, I'm not sure this is a smart move by Nintendo.
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Postby S4Blade » Fri Feb 28, '14, 11:54 pm

Well in Nintendo's defense, the Wii and DS were not really known for the great online capabilities. Don't get me wrong, they have compentent online systems, but compared to the PS3, Xbox 360, heck even the PSP, the online services were pretty lacking. Game developers notice these things, and most of the multiplayer centered games led them to develop their games on the 360, PS3, or PSP. Some of these devs even yanked the online portions of their games for the Wii versions, and some of these devs are still doing it today on the Wii U.

I'm sure Nintendo didn't just make this decision overnight. They must have viewed a lot of usage statistics before making this decision. If these systems were getting heavily used online, I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't be pulling the online services. I know I have only used my DS and my Wii for system updates and that's it.

The worst news is for the devs that have online centric Wii games. This is basically going to turn their games into nothing more than frisbees.
Last edited by S4Blade on Fri Feb 28, '14, 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby myau56 » Sat Mar 1, '14, 10:07 pm

Sure that Nintendo Haven't been very reknown for their online services.. that have been the case with older systems and that is still the case today.
Systems update are cool but after that.. with thos "fabulous" friend codes (that is highly ironic) online services are far to be great for Big N.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby S4Blade » Sun Mar 2, '14, 1:26 am

myau56 wrote:Sure that Nintendo Haven't been very reknown for their online services.. that have been the case with older systems and that is still the case today.
Systems update are cool but after that.. with thos "fabulous" friend codes (that is highly ironic) online services are far to be great for Big N.

I never did get to experience the whole "Friend Code" thing, but I heard it was kind of a mess.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Mar 2, '14, 3:51 am

It was a mess. I'm glad Nintendo has cleaned that up considerably with the WiiU.

Wolf Bird

Next

Return to In the News