Wii U: Nintendo Sells Under 500,000 in Six Months

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

Wii U: Nintendo Sells Under 500,000 in Six Months

Postby S4Blade » Wed Oct 30, '13, 5:32 pm

Sources:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/30/ ... six-months

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/10/30/wii-u ... endo-prof/

Sales of the Wii-U continue to be bad for Nintendo. They claim that it is hurting their profits now. The 3DS is doing much better though.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Re: Wii U: Nintendo Sells Under 500,000 in Six Months

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Oct 30, '13, 5:46 pm

There just are not many good titles on the WiiU right now. A New Super Mario Brothers game just isn't enough.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby S4Blade » Sun Nov 3, '13, 12:47 pm

More bad news for the Wii-U. President Satoru Iwata says "We have so far failed to make propositions worthy of Wii U's position as a successor to the Wii system."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ninten ... 0-6415888/

Reading the article is kind of interesting, and the comments in the article are good as well. Looking at the upcoming lineup for the Wii-U, I'm just not sure that Nintendo is "getting it" with the Wii-U. It seems like most people just aren't satisfied with Nintendo remaking the same franchises anymore.
Last edited by S4Blade on Sun Nov 3, '13, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Nov 3, '13, 3:44 pm

VistaBlade wrote:It seems like most people just aren't satisfied with Nintendo remaking the same franchises anymore.

I'm one of those people. Recent titles in some of Nintendo's less popular franchises have not been stellar. Metroid: Other M was terrible for a myriad of reasons, among them completely destroying Samus's character (or what character she had up to that point). Which is disappointing for two reasons: the Metroid Prime games were quite good, and Metroid as a franchise has a much more dark, serious tone, which I think Nintendo needs more of. The Kid Icarus reboot was unnecessary at best, in my opinion…but since they did reboot it, I think they passed up the opportunity to make a slightly darker, more serious franchise closer to Metroid. Mario and Zelda may still be going strong, but in the end, they are still remaking these franchises using the same basic formula and it's getting pretty stale.

In my totally biased opinion, the only worthwhile thing currently on the WiiU is EarthBound on the virtual console.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Sun Nov 3, '13, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Postby Tweeg » Sun Nov 3, '13, 4:57 pm

I was talking with the manager at a GameStop week before last about the Wii-U. He actually owns one, and his opinion on why it sells so poorly supported what I'd long suspected. He said it sells poorly because the only good controller for the system is the one with the screeen on it, and those are priced at $299.99 new. So if you really want to play multi-player you need to spend nearly the cost of an additional system to by another controller for player 2. As he put it, if they (Nintendo) can not get the price of the full function controllers to below $100 soon the system will fail.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby S4Blade » Sun Nov 3, '13, 10:39 pm

I've been tired of the same old Nintendo games for years. The last Nintendo made game that I enjoyed was Twilight Princess on the Gamecube, and that was mainly because of the darker atmosphere of the game. It felt somewhat different for a Zelda game.

Good point about the Wii U controllers Tweeg. That does sound like a problem for people that want to play multiplayer games on the Wii U.
Last edited by S4Blade on Sun Nov 3, '13, 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby PathfinderCS » Tue Nov 5, '13, 11:25 pm

The Wii U really needs a serious kick in the behind; just something that can actually spark some interest. Forget the casuals; other areas of life have tried to keep casuals and a lot of times end up failing (looking at you, NASCAR).

I love Mario and respect Zelda (never really played much), but there has to be something that really grabs gamers attention...and with the attention that Sony and Microsoft (not to mention Steam and the like) have been getting, it is going to be very, and I mean VERY, hard for Nintendo to accomplish that.
"I'd say the sky's the limit!" - Spyro
PathfinderCS
Agent
Agent

Location: With the stars, sailing the blackness of the universe.
Achievements: 20

Postby myau56 » Sat Dec 28, '13, 9:37 pm

Wolf Bird was saying this : "There just are not many good titles on the WiiU right now" : and that is totally right ! Theis machine is failing because the most important has always been the games ! And what games are really interesting ? Only a few of them....:(
Unfortunately, I think that this machine is bound to be a failure but maybe...
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Dec 29, '13, 2:37 am

Well, it seems Super Mario 3D World has been getting good reviews and selling decently. I guess that's a positive thing for Nintendo. I know my boyfriend got a Wii U for Christmas and this game, so I'll probably get the chance to try it once we're back in Massachusetts. But I dunno, I still feel pretty 'meh' about the Wii U and Mario in general. I just can't quite get past the stale.

Wolf Bird

Postby myau56 » Sun Dec 29, '13, 12:20 pm

Hope you'll enjoy Super Mario 3D World :) But this Wii U, I think I'll never buy one and that is not going to change soon ! Hope that all the people who have bought one will find Entertainment :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Return to In the News