Nintendo announces 3DS

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Nintendo announces 3DS

Postby Thoul » Tue Mar 23, '10, 5:45 pm

So according to gaming news sites, last night Nintendo decided to formally announce their next handheld system, which we discussed a little when nVidia landed a contract for the processor. The working title of the system is "Nintendo 3DS" and it is planned for release before March of next year.

They haven't said much, but a few features have been revealed. First, the new system will support all DS and DSi games. That also means it will have a camera and microphone like the DSi. It will also have the ability to use 3D effects like movies, but without any kind of special glasses. There is speculation that the system will have a motion sensor and improved graphics (apparently Nintendo is trying to retract that statement for now, so who knows?). More info is supposed to come at the E3 show in June.

So, what do you think of the news? Is this 3D thing going to be good or another Virtual Boy disaster?

Personally, I'm really glad I didn't get a DSi now. It hasn't even been out for a year here in the US. The extra large version, DSi XL, is going to be released this week. Now Nintendo announces that they'll both be obsolete by this time next year. These guys are really shooting themselves in the foot with this crazy marketing strategy.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Nintendo announces 3DS

Postby Snorb » Tue Mar 23, '10, 6:29 pm

Its times like this where I shout out loud that the DS I got for Christmas way back in 2004 is still perfectly servicable for my needs, aside from that one damn dead pixel dead-center in the top screen. =p
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Tweeg » Thu Mar 25, '10, 1:43 am

Consumer Reports:
blogs.consumerreports.org/electronics/2 ... umeristRSS

Silicon Era:
siliconera.com/2010/03/23/nintendo-3ds- ... led-at-e3/

NeoGAF:
neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?s=121d1 ... p;t=390930

Kotaku:
kotaku.com/5499823/nintendo-3ds-could-b ... rom-iphone

All I'm hoping for from the ne system really is higher resolution screens, you know, something at least remotely comparable to the Tubo Grafx Express from 17 years ago. :roll:
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby Lucas » Thu Mar 25, '10, 7:29 am

It sounds interesting but I must admit Nintendo is going crazy with their handhelds lately (not that it’s a bad thing I guess). I think I’ll just wait and see how it all turns out. Also my original DS has still lasted me from back in 2005 so I wont jump on this one as soon as it gets released that’s for sure.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Mar 25, '10, 8:01 pm

On one hand, I think it's great news that Nintendo is still creating and coming up with things like this. On the other hand, I'm wondering just how many of these things are they going to keep coming up with. I mean, just when you finally are able to get one you see that it is already being put on the back burner because something new is coming out. I don't know about anyone else, but I can't afford to get each and every one of these new gadgets every few months, etc. I like my old original Nintendo best of all anyway. :yaknow:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Darkil » Fri Mar 26, '10, 12:35 am

I like how it follows your eye movements to create the 3d simulation. Plus it's plays old DS games unlike the DXI so that's a bit of a bonus for me.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Lemina » Fri Mar 26, '10, 2:45 am

It sounds cool, but I'm with Silver_Surfer. Who's going to be able to afford all of these DS's? And who's going to want the latest one after they just got a DSi? Hmmm...

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Tweeg » Fri Mar 26, '10, 3:15 am

This isn't another revision of the DS though, it's a new handlheld that has backwards compatibility with DS games.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby Thoul » Fri Mar 26, '10, 5:32 pm

DS or not, it's still a new handheld that's going to be released before the latest DS is even a year old.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Rick » Sat Mar 27, '10, 5:07 am

I like how it follows your eye movements to create the 3d simulation.

What the hell kind of BS is that x.x I can't enjoy the system !

I don't see out of my left eye ;.; That is so unfair!

I can't even enjoy a 3d movie or see them. Now it's a game system I can't do. Sigh..
Rick
Android
Android

Achievements: 49

Next

Return to Tech and Design