Nintendo announces 3DS

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Re: Nintendo announces 3DS

Postby Thoul » Tue Jun 15, '10, 6:59 pm

So, the 3DS appeared at E3. I wasn't very interested in the system before, but I have to say the Kid Icarus game that was shown sold me on it. I still may not get one for a while, to see what kind of game support the system gets. I really want to try that Kid Icarus, though.

And Rick, you'll be happy to hear that the three dimension stuff is apparently optional; there's a slider than can increase and decrease the depth, even to the point of having standard flat visuals. It seems Nintendo took cases like yours into account when designing the handheld.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 15, '10, 9:58 pm

Oh that's great! I've never really been able to enjoy a full 3d movie.. The glasses don't work and 1 eye doesn't help.

I find myself sad because I can't enjoy full 3d movies. But the handheld doesn't have to use full 3d so I may get one!

I'm glad Nintendo took visually impaired people into account.

Now if we could just get the puzzle game makers to take color deficient people into account then I'd be happy! All those shades of green and red and blue just blur together.
Rick
Android
Android

Achievements: 49

Postby Tweeg » Fri Jun 18, '10, 2:32 am

Mike Kennedy, owner of Game Gavel, got to go to E3. He posted that one of the games being demo'd is a new Dead or Alive game from Tecmo! And even more interesting, a new Star Fox game!
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby Thoul » Fri Jun 18, '10, 4:11 am

I'm psyched for Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D now. It's suppose to be a remake of the N64 game. And by remake, Nintendo means it'll use 3DS features and control schemes, instead of just being a straight port.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tsunami » Fri Jun 18, '10, 7:08 pm

Thoul wrote:I'm psyched for Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D now. It's suppose to be a remake of the N64 game. And by remake, Nintendo means it'll use 3DS features and control schemes, instead of just being a straight port.
Wha-

Okay, I want it. Now. :D I LOVE Zelda:OoT! I wonder how they will handle the ocarina playing, though? I've played it on the GC and there was that yellow button/stick thing. >.>

Guess I am just not sure how that will pan out on a handheld, but it can't be anything that's too complicated.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Thoul » Fri Jun 18, '10, 11:58 pm

They could use the D-pad as a replacement for the yellow stick. I hope that's what they do, anyway. Zelda: Spirit Tracks had something like the ocarina, but it required blowing into the microphone while moving bits around the screen. It was difficult, so I really hope they don't try to use that for the ocarina. :cry:
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby hugues » Wed Jun 23, '10, 10:11 pm

I'll chime in to say that I was very skeptical about this system when I first heard about it. After seeing the E3 lineup I'm suddenly excited about it. However, I'll probably wait until they make the first revision. For their last two handhelds the second version was so much better than the first.

Game Boy Advance -> Game Boy Advance SP: Rechargeable battery, brighter screen.
DS -> DS Lite: More compact design, better screens.

So I'm wagering the 3DS Lite or whatever it will be called will be an improvement.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Thoul » Wed Jun 23, '10, 10:24 pm

That's a great point. Nintendo always refines their handhelds after a few years. It may be worth waiting for an improved version. Who knows, they might even enlarge the screen again eventually.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Previous

Return to Tech and Design