Microsoft to end mainstream support for Windows 7

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Microsoft to end mainstream support for Windows 7

Postby S4Blade » Thu Jul 10, '14, 12:58 am

Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/microsof ... ort-2014-7

Microsoft will end mainstream support for Windows 7 on January 13, 2015 for all version of Windows 7. Security patches and fixes will still be available until 2020, but there will be no more design or devlopment changes for Windows 7 after January 13, 2015.

Businesses that pay for extended support will still be honored until 2020 as well.

Thoughts?

I feel much more comfortable with this decision after Windows 8.1 was released. It really makes Windows 8 much better.
Last edited by S4Blade on Thu Jul 10, '14, 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Re: Microsoft to end mainstream support for Windows 7

Postby Thoul » Thu Jul 10, '14, 6:59 am

I'm okay with it, since the security patches and fixes will continue for quite a while. Windows 7 feels stable enough that it should need any further design or development, in my opinion. The security issues are what really matter at this point. I wasn't a big fan of Windows 8 when trying it, so I wouldn't be looking to upgrade any time soon.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Snorb » Thu Jul 10, '14, 6:41 pm

Weird. Microsoft usually keeps active support for three versions of Windows (in this case, Vista, 7, and 8) at a time, so I guess this means we have Windows 9 to look forward to.
Last edited by Snorb on Thu Jul 10, '14, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Aeroprism » Thu Jul 10, '14, 6:50 pm

I look forward to Win 9. Hopefully MS will listen to the public outcry and admit that a PC is not a tablet.

Needless to say, I do not care for Win 8. The 8.1 version is more stable and less crazy but it's the same annoying, terrible design. Pass.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby S4Blade » Fri Jul 11, '14, 12:52 am

With Windows 9, I hope they release a separate version with touch screen controls for tablets, and a regular version for desktops. Trying to put them all into one version is not going to work well.

The only time I have ever used the touch screen controls for Windows 8 is on my Windows 8 phone. It works pretty well for that, but it doesn't make for a good desktop experience unless you run it in desktop mode, which is almost mandatory without touch screen controls.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Return to Tech and Design