Nielsen error

There's lots to talk about on the smaller screen.

Nielsen error

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Jun 17, '09, 6:58 pm

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Nielsen-c ... .html?.v=1

Well, if they can make an error regarding one thing, then I wonder how many other errors they may have made.

I'll bet they are getting some heat for this one.

Very smart of whoever it was to question this and begin investigating this which wound up with the error being discovered, etc.
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Nielsen error

Postby Tweeg » Wed Jun 17, '09, 9:08 pm

Seriosuly have got to wonder how they come up with those figures in the first place. I know they do over the phone marketing research from time to time, got lucky and received one of those calls once. But how could they possibly know how many people out of the population are watching what at any given time?
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Re: Nielsen error

Postby Thoul » Thu Jun 18, '09, 1:00 pm

From my understanding, there are two ways that they know this. The first is that they have people fill out forms about what they watched. It's like keeping a manual record of your TV habits. The second is by having some kind of box attached to the TVs; the box keeps track of that same information automatically.

Both methods are only used for small select groups of people, so the ratings do not truly reflect reality. For instance, a while back I read a report a about Neilsen claims about game console usage. Their claims put Wii usage very low, based on 17,000 US households. Neilsen didn't report that 17,000 was less than 0.2% of Wiis sold in the US by the period of their report.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to Tubular Television