New Xbox 360

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

New Xbox 360

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Jun 14, '10, 11:42 pm

Microsoft has unveiled a new, slimmer, Xbox 360 for arrival at stores later this week. The price is almost $300.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37692289/ns ... ?gt1=43001

Comments or Opinions?

Anyone getting one of these?
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: New Xbox 360

Postby Thoul » Tue Jun 15, '10, 7:00 am

It sounds like the only thing really changing is the case. I don't see any reason to be interested in replacing an existing Xbox with this. It might be good for those that don't have one, though the high price is still a negative point.

[Edit]
Okay, having seen more articles elsewhere, it seems this Xbox is actually quite a bit better. It has a bigger hard drive, which will be good for all those digital download games, and a built in wireless adapter. That's pretty good.

Too bad the old hard drives aren't compatible with it, though. I would really hate having to buy some transfer kit to copy all the info over from my existing HD.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Rick » Wed Jun 16, '10, 2:25 am

And the added benefit of RROD at twice the speed of the older models!

Act now and get it bricked before you buy it so you don't have to get bricked when you connect to Xbox live after moding it!

Seriously though, that's a slimmer machine!
Rick
Android
Android

Achievements: 49

Postby Thoul » Wed Jun 16, '10, 3:32 am

I dunno Rick, Microsoft claims they have finally fixed the RROD in the new models once and for all.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Thoul » Thu Jun 24, '10, 6:01 pm

I think Microsoft's claim about fixing the red ring might prove bogus after all. I'm sure they have taken steps to reduce it, but apparently the ring has been replaced with a red dot. I guess that means failures are still possible, even if not as common.

On the up side though, the new system is much more quiet than the older versions. I'm glad to hear that, personally. My 360 makes so much noise spinning discs that sometimes I get a little worried about it.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Aeroprism » Mon Jun 28, '10, 5:33 pm

The RRoD is very easy to fix, it's a design flaw that was introduced when they rushed production in the end to concurrence the PS3.

Basically, since the disk tray is too big and poorly positioned, they had to redesign the cooling system which is now made of two very cheap heat sinks (One on the CPU and one on the GPU). The problem is, after every play/power down/play/power down cycle, the solder on the heat sink weakens and eventually the contact loses all its quality, resulting in overheating and RRoD.

Fixing it is easy: remove the heat sinks, replace the cheap anchors using a system with thin vinyl washers and decent cooling paste. (At this point, the contact is very poor). Power up once to allow the chip to largely overheat and soften the solder. Power down, squeeze the new anchor system to make the chip sit tightly in the now soft solder and create a good link between chip and heat sink, re-power up and boom, no more red ring.

Been there, done that. Really easy if you have any experience with electronics.

Full step by step guides on Youtube.
Last edited by Aeroprism on Mon Jun 28, '10, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby Celeith » Mon Jun 28, '10, 9:14 pm

Meh after my 360 RroD on me I said to hell with the 360 altogether. The majority of games that I have/had on the 360 were ported to the PS3 anyways so I enjoy my PS3 more.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Thoul » Mon Jun 28, '10, 9:30 pm

I'm not sure I'd want to try fixing my 360 myself. I could probably do it with the right equipment (I need to get a tool so I can solder stuff one of these days), but on the other hand trying that surely voids the warranty. If my 360 dies out of warranty, then I might be more inclined to give it a shot.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 29, '10, 3:47 am

Did you know that the new Xbox 360 slim PERMANENTLY damages disks?

Not even my external DVD burner does that nor did my Playstations nor my gamecube nor my dreamcast o.o

There is a video about it on the net.

It still suffers RROD but they removed the red light so now it'll be a Green ring of death.

[quote]
The issue is covered in detail on the unsurprisingly lengthy Wikipedia article on Xbox 360 technical problems – Microsoft apparently claims that “bumpers in the disk tray would cost 25 cents per console” and so naturally had to be left out.
[quote]

I dunno.. I'd rather buy an original big one that didn't destroy my disk if moved o.o

Microsoft is pulling the apple routine. The new Iphone loses signal if you hold it the wrong way. Microsoft blames the new disk destroying problem on users, apple blames it on users. What a nice world!
Last edited by Rick on Tue Jun 29, '10, 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick
Android
Android

Achievements: 49

Postby Thoul » Tue Jun 29, '10, 5:01 pm

This is the first I've heard about disc scratching by the 360. I looked up that Wikipedia article you mentioned and apparently it isn't limited to the slim version. It's been happening for years. :o I never move my consoles with a disc in them, so it's never happened to me.

I think I would have been happy paying the 25 cents extra to avoid the problem. It might have delayed the original launch, but there's little acceptable excuse for this not being fixed in the slim, given how long Microsoft has known of the issue.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Tech and Design