New Switch Console coming soon

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

New Switch Console coming soon

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri May 28, '21, 9:45 pm

A new Switch console could be available sometime later this year (2021):

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... li=BBnb7Kz
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: New Switch Console coming soon

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat May 29, '21, 2:39 pm

Until it actually happens, I'm not putting much weight in this. There have been rumors for years now. I'll get excited when it comes from the Big N themselves (and also, I hope there aren't stock shortages should it become reality).
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby myau56 » Mon May 31, '21, 2:20 pm

Hope It'll be the case as I'm willing to buy one later :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Darkil » Wed Jun 2, '21, 1:47 pm

I love the idea of a new Switch. However, being an owner of all 3 consoles, and an Xbox Series X fairly recently, I don't know if I'd have time to actually play and enjoy it.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Jun 2, '21, 11:27 pm

Also, honestly, with the semiconductor shortage, the chances of actually getting one at MSRP anywhere near release are remote. Nintendo's graphics chips come from NVIDIA, who can't even keep shelves stocked with old models of GPUs because silicon supply cannot keep up with the pent up demand from COVID. NVIDIA even just announced new 3070 TI and 3080 TI GPUs, but chances are those will basically all be gotten by Bitcoin miners and scalpers, not everyday consumers (and it's earning them a fair amount of ire from tech consumers). Given Nintendo's histories of under stocking anyway, I can't see how, if they do release a Switch Pro later this year, most everyday consumers will have much of a chance at actually getting one.

Given how hard it's proving for consumers to get Series Xs or PS5s, from companies that don't have a history of deliberately under stocking, I just don't see a way for the Switch Pro to be released in such a way that most people who want one will be able to get one near release without paying double or triple MSRP to a scalper...assuming they even have that option.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Wed Jun 2, '21, 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Postby myau56 » Mon Jun 14, '21, 11:47 am

All those problems tied to the shortage of semiconductors is....problematic ! :( Alas...Hope it'll be better as soon as possible !
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Jul 6, '21, 3:23 pm

Well, they announced it. Not nearly as much of an upgrade as was being speculated.

https://www.engadget.com/new-nintendo-s ... 24519.html

OLED screen, larger screen, more internal storage, improved kickstand and built-in ethernet in the dock seem to be the only improvements of note. There does seem to be some audio/speaker improvements in portable, but I'd imagine that most people probably use headphones when it's undocked. Anyway, here's Nintendo's official page on it.

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/oled-model/

Personally, not an upgrade that's worth it for me, especially with the 50 USD markup. Also, I think this will be very hard for average customers to get. Nintendo has a history of under stocking their hardware, and with the ongoing semiconductor shortage, they'll probably be even rarer. I hope this doesn't become a situation like with NVIDIA's newest GPUs, where most of the stock ends up in the hands of scalpers and actual customers can't get their hands on it at MSRP.

Wolf Bird

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Jul 6, '21, 11:10 pm

Well, they did get it out this year after all. It looks nice. Not sure if I will be getting one or not, especially at that price. After all I am still saving my money and waiting to purchase a PS5 if they ever become available again.
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Jul 7, '21, 3:54 am

Sadly, I think these will have the same problem as PS5s and Series X - not being available because scalpers got them all. It is a nice console, but it's a very weak upgrade, IMO. I just don't see a compelling reason to pay for the upgrade unless there are some very generous exchange programs. It seems most Switch owners I've talked to agree, the upgrade is not worth it as the new features just don't justify the price or hassle of transferring things over. They're neat, just not worth paying for. Of the upgrades, about the only one really noteworthy is the OLED screen. The better kickstand is nice, but not super cool. Better speakers...eh - most people playing portably are likely using headphones much of the time. The new docks with built-in LAN will likely be available individually. More internal storage is certainly welcome, but a decent sized microSD card can work around the Switch's lack of internal storage. Overall, just a lackluster upgrade.

I think of this and compare it to the "New" 3DS upgrade...that mid-cycle upgrade had a substantial boost in processing power. That's the kind of thing I had been hoping for in a new Switch model, and it would have gotten my attention. But 'tis not to be.

Wolf Bird

Postby MrKite » Wed Jul 7, '21, 6:31 pm

I already got a Switch Lite and a normal Switch. I don't need a third one, and all those extra bonuses on the OLED Switch aren't enough to make me want it.
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Next

Return to Tech and Design