New Phantasy Star IV Speedrun

Hunt the source of evil as the millennium comes to an end.

New Phantasy Star IV Speedrun

Postby hugues » Mon Mar 15, '10, 12:25 am

Someone just posted a new Phantasy Star IV speedrun that breaks the 1:30 mark. Yeah, it's emulated so it's not as impressive as if it was done on an actual cartridge. Looks to be a good watch anyway. Here's the link:
http://tasvideos.org/1488M.html
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Re: New Phantasy Star IV Speedrun

Postby Tanith » Tue Mar 16, '10, 11:51 pm

Cripes. That's short enough to watch as a movie. I'll have to bookmark it. Thanks!
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Rick » Wed Mar 17, '10, 6:59 pm

On the comments..

"Heavy luck manipulation"

Makes me think tool assisted.

You can't manipulate your luck normally playing like that.
Rick
Android
Android

Achievements: 49

Postby ThugsRook » Wed Mar 17, '10, 9:10 pm

it says its tool assisted.

very movie-ish. (altho too fast to read the text, but we all know what it says anyways.)
ThugsRook
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 15

Postby Lyla2284 » Wed Mar 17, '10, 9:14 pm

If that run through is only an hour and half long, I doubt there are any random battles... :shiftyeyes: But it's being done on an emulator, so there are codes for eliminating random battles entirely.

But what about leveling up? :?
Bah.
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 78

Postby Thoul » Wed Mar 17, '10, 11:12 pm

There are codes that will give characters up many, many levels after a single battle, too.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Solar » Thu Mar 18, '10, 12:39 pm

I remember hearing that one does not need to win a single fight to finish PS2. There is a VERY small chance that you will be able to escape a boss battle and thus the game will continue.
Solar
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 89

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Mar 18, '10, 2:50 pm

Watched this last night. I found it kind of boring without random battles, especially the Air Castle. Though, I do think it was funny that Chaz gained few levels and at the end of the game I think he had 39 max HP (level 3, I think?)
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby FreshFeeling » Fri Mar 19, '10, 9:34 pm

Caged Wolf wrote:Watched this last night. I found it kind of boring without random battles, especially the Air Castle. Though, I do think it was funny that Chaz gained few levels and at the end of the game I think he had 39 max HP (level 3, I think?)

That's right. This run is interesting in that it actually uses the Shadwblade rollover glitch to save a whole lot of time. It can only really be used while Chaz is at level 4. There's exactly one random encounter in the game just to get the Shadwblade.

Sounds like some here might be misinformed about tool-assisted runs. They use an original, unmodified ROM verified by checksum and provide the input frame-by-frame. There aren't any codes used, but they have perfect accuracy with their timing due to use of savestates. Phantasy Star II and IV, like Dragon Warrior, allow for any input to affect the RNG, making it very easy to manipulate who the enemies will target and also making it possible to avoid any encounters.

If you think of it more like an exercise in programming rather than an exercise in gaming skill it's fascinating and entertaining. In this case, it's very cool to see the Shadwblade glitch. It also shows that Phantasy Star IV can be beaten with minimum experience, although it's not exactly likely.

I encourage any fans to watch it. I've also recorded an audio commentary to accompany it although it seems like the recording doesn't have very good timing. It's available in the discussion on tasvideos.org .
FreshFeeling
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 23

Postby hugues » Sat Mar 20, '10, 1:24 am

FreshFeeling wrote:If you think of it more like an exercise in programming rather than an exercise in gaming skill it's fascinating and entertaining. In this case, it's very cool to see the Shadwblade glitch. It also shows that Phantasy Star IV can be beaten with minimum experience, although it's not exactly likely.

I have a great appreciation for the programming skills required to put together a TAS. From working on Aridia I can relate to how excruciating it is weed through ROM data to find stuff like level & stat tables. Some of the glitches you TAS'ers find are amazing.

Is anyone over there working on a Phantasy Star II TAS?
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Next

Return to Phantasy Star IV