Caterpillar and PSIV's Battle System help needed

Remixes and original creations by fans - as games, audio, videos or other forms - shine in this spotlight.

Caterpillar and PSIV's Battle System help needed

Postby Xeno » Thu Feb 14, '13, 9:04 am

Can anyone please help me find a way to make characters follow me with the Caterpillar Script? I am currently working on a game of my own, but I wanna make my characters follow my hero.

I need to know this because at some point, I plan to make a remake of PSII and PSIV (at least). If anyone's very good at scripting, I would be very much obliged to you if you helped me out. I also think that if there's anyone else on PS Algo who is making games with RPGXP, this thread may help them.

Also, is it allowed to post fan games that aren't related to Phantasy Star here? To my defense, it's based heavily off PSIV.

If this thread is considered spam, I'll delete it of course, just let me know. :D

Cheers,
The Reviver.
Nei deserved better.

Current project: Phantasy Star - The Age of Numans
Xeno
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 34

Re: Caterpillar and PSIV's Battle System help needed

Postby Thoul » Thu Feb 14, '13, 11:58 am

The Reviver wrote:Also, is it allowed to post fan games that aren't related to Phantasy Star here?

That's fine, yes. :) I can't help you with the rest, but I wish you the best of luck with your game.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby myau56 » Thu Feb 14, '13, 9:25 pm

Me too, I can't really help you but you have my support ! :fiery:
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Xeno » Thu Feb 14, '13, 10:18 pm

Thanks! ^^
Nei deserved better.

Xeno
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 34

Postby Atlinsmere » Thu Feb 14, '13, 10:52 pm

I used to use RMXP all the time. I know there are two caterpillar systems out there. One was simple in the fact that it used the in game party system, it was simple to use and was basically just a drag and drop. The other one, was less popular but I preferred it. It used events which allowed you to have even non party members follow you around. It was more complicated and it required you to add the events for every map, so it wasn't exactly user friendly but it was nice.

I forget what both of them were called but I know they can both be found at rmrk.net.

As for the battle system, though I've never used it, I heard ATOA CBS battle system would be good to use for a PSIV inspired battle system.

I have been out of the loop with RPG Maker for awhile now, but I still remember some usefull scripts if you have questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer from my outdated knowledge base.
Last edited by Atlinsmere on Fri Feb 15, '13, 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Rulakir » Fri Feb 15, '13, 3:29 am

I'm using RMVX for my game, so I can't help you with the scripts. All I know is that both XP and VX have a few caterpillar scripts that should work right away by using the party system.

As for the battle system, XP should be easier than VX, since it uses battlers as a default, use the PS character back sprites as your battlers, then you will have to do some little bit of script modifying to position them correctly. For my game, I couldn't get a custom HUD that worked right, so instead I drew the HUD directly onto every backround, and made the window frame transparent, then modified the character portraits and names and stuff to appear in the correct place.

EDIT: Oh and obviously, the characters attack animations should be mapped out in the XP attack animations section.
Last edited by Rulakir on Fri Feb 15, '13, 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rulakir
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 21

Postby Xeno » Mon Mar 18, '13, 5:54 pm

Finally! I've finally got that CBS to work right! ^^ :D
Time to work some magic!
Nei deserved better.

Xeno
Innkeeper