Content vs. Platform

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Content vs. Platform

Postby Thoul » Wed Oct 28, '09, 12:32 am

Games have many aspects in their design, but two of the biggest are content - what's in the game - and platform - the machine the game runs on. If the game's content appears poor, you may not enjoy it. On the other hand, if you lack the needed platform, you might not be able to play it and enjoy it at all. When you're looking for games to purchase, which of these two is most important to you? Or are they of equal importance?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Content vs. Platform

Postby Schala Zeal » Thu Nov 12, '09, 7:06 pm

Ah, the console dilemma. :worried: I generally pick the console based on the games that the console either has or will have. So it boils down to the content of the game-- But since there are so many games that I want on every console, I ended up buying all (except one, the PS3) of the current generation consoles. So, I ended up having a couple games for each console that I have, rather than a bunch of games for one console. Expensive, but it works for me. :sweat:
Schala Zeal
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 21

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Nov 12, '09, 7:15 pm

Depends on my finances and the games a console has/will have. So take last summer, when I got a Wii...at the time I got it mostly for Brawl, because it was too much fun. But it also had Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, and Metroid Prime 3, and I'm currently looking forward to releases next year like another Metroid game, Mario Galaxy 2 and the other Super Mario game. Getting a Wii also essentially got me a Gamecube too, and opened me up to the last generation console that I did not have before, and my Gamecube collection is also slowly growing as those are available used at any Gamestop. I'd say the Wii was a good purchase as it had games it wanted and it was backwards-compatible.

I have zero interest in an Xbox...but the PS3 has a lot of games I'd love to play, like some Ratchet and Clank games, Little Big Planet, Mirror's Edge and another Destroy All Humans (a lot of those are on XBox, but the Ratchet and Clank games are PS3 only). But alas, money...
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby PathfinderCS » Thu Nov 12, '09, 11:53 pm

Schala Zeal wrote:Ah, the console dilemma. :worried: I generally pick the console based on the games that the console either has or will have. So it boils down to the content of the game-- But since there are so many games that I want on every console, I ended up buying all (except one, the PS3) of the current generation consoles. So, I ended up having a couple games for each console that I have, rather than a bunch of games for one console. Expensive, but it works for me. :sweat:

I know what you mean. While my Wii and PS3 collections are growing steadily, my 360 stash has...stagnated. I only have two games for it with one being a multi-platform option. :faint:
"I'd say the sky's the limit!" - Spyro
PathfinderCS
Agent
Agent

Location: With the stars, sailing the blackness of the universe.
Achievements: 20

Postby Darkil » Fri Nov 13, '09, 1:40 pm

I did that last generation and it was way too expensive for me, plus I never got around to beating a lot of the games I picked up. I went with the 360 this go around due to Fable 2 & Mass Effect. It has been the best decision for me this year [plus a cheaper one since I have Alis and all :D]. There are a few on the PS3 I'd like to play but not enough for me to shell out the money I spent on getting a new PC :D
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Return to Tech and Design