New DS rumored for next year

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

New DS rumored for next year

Postby Thoul » Wed Oct 14, '09, 7:10 pm

A recent report suggests that Nintendo is going to have a new DS handheld system up for reveal at the Tokyo Game Show in 2010. Apparently nVidia, most famous for their video cards for computers, won a contract to provide a processor chip for the new system. The article goes on to offer lots of speculation about what nVidia could bring to the system, like improved graphic performance and backward compatibility with existing DS games.

Any thoughts on this report? It seems like Nintendo is moving ahead with the DS rather quickly, compared to the long wait between Game Boy versions. The DSi is barely a year old.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: New DS rumored for next year

Postby PathfinderCS » Wed Oct 14, '09, 9:42 pm

It's probably a good thing I stuck with my old DS then. :yes:

Don't know what to say. I only have two games with my DS and really, I have less than ten games for the GBA. I'm not much of a handheld gamer myself, but I'll give it a wait and see. Who knows? It may sway me. :wow_luigi:
"I'd say the sky's the limit!" - Spyro
PathfinderCS
Agent
Agent

Location: With the stars, sailing the blackness of the universe.
Achievements: 20

Postby Darkil » Thu Oct 15, '09, 1:44 pm

I love my DS Lite, but the DSI didn't offer any improvement that I'd take advantage of to make it a worthwhile purchase. I'll have to wait and see what this new DS will supposidely do.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Thoul » Tue Oct 27, '09, 9:39 pm

I came across another report about a possible new DS model today. It might be related to the report above or not...

Anyway, this report suggests that the new DS will have larger screens - 4 inches, compared to the DSi's 3 and 1/4 inches. It's also supposedly not going to replace the DSi, but be sold alongside it. I find that bit hard to believe - isn't the regular DS still being sold as well? That would mean three models of the DS in stores at once. That's very unlike Nintendo.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lucas » Wed Oct 28, '09, 1:34 am

All I know is I’m sticking with my original DS. I wonder why Nintendo has chosen to make a fourth model of the same console? Like the DS really needs many improvements.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Thoul » Thu Oct 29, '09, 8:56 pm

The New DS has now been confirmed by Nintendo. It has 4.2 inch screens, so they're a little larger than rumored and nearly double the size of the DS Lite screens. It has a different name depending on which country you're in, something not seen since the days of the Genesis/Mega Drive. In Japan, the system is called DSi LL. For America and Europe, it's DSi XL.

It's coming out early next year.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Oct 29, '09, 9:13 pm

Well, Wii sales have been falling and Nintendo's profits have been declining. I guess they're banking on holiday sales and the DS to make up for the saturation of the Wii market.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Tweeg » Fri Oct 30, '09, 3:04 am

Sure hope they've bumped up the resolution along with the screen sizes, elwise there's going to be some extreme pixelation going on.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby Darkil » Fri Oct 30, '09, 12:41 pm

This doesn't surprise me really, I mean compared to the original Game Boy, Nintendo has virtually put out a new handheld every few years. You kind of come to expect it now...basically it's like DVD's. You get a great version, then there's the "special edition", followed by the "director's cut", followed by the "ultimate edition" and so on. The big N is just doing the same thing.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Thoul » Fri Oct 30, '09, 2:29 pm

Tweeg wrote:Sure hope they've bumped up the resolution along with the screen sizes, elwise there's going to be some extreme pixelation going on.

I think they didn't. Once article I read said the screens have the same number of pixels as the regular DSi. It's just going to be bigger for easier reading.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Tech and Design