Lighthouse for sale

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Lighthouse for sale

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Jul 20, '10, 8:15 pm

Wanna buy a Lighthouse?

The state of Michigan has some for sale:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destinat ... sale_N.htm

Maybe it's the romantic in me, but just the thought of a lighthouse conjures up drama, peril, being rescued, and safety.

It would be neat to live in one of these places, and just image the view!

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Lighthouse for sale

Postby Xander » Tue Jul 20, '10, 8:31 pm

I wonder what Tanith will say when she finds this. :D

It would certainly be interesting to see what someone would do with one of these. It would ahve to be pretty big for a home.
Last edited by Xander on Tue Jul 20, '10, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Postby Thoul » Tue Jul 20, '10, 8:45 pm

I'd like to have a lighthouse. I think it would be pretty neat. A lot of them are isolated, so you'd have plenty of privacy. But, it takes a lot to keep one up. Most of the ones that are sold seem to be in horrible shape because the previous owners abandoned them. It might be less expensive to build a new one, really.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tanith » Wed Jul 21, '10, 4:21 am

Xander wrote:I wonder what Tanith will say when she finds this. :D
You know me too well, Xander. ;) I hope that some preservation groups have the means to buy them. I'm actually going to research that in a minute; I'm sure there's interest. As fascinating as it would be to own a lighthouse, I prefer that historical societies and non-profits own defunct lighthouses, as in most cases of privately-owned lighthouses, they fall into disrepair and in some cases the world ends up losing these historical structures. Those Michigan lights exist in some brutal weather conditions in the winter. Check out some amazing photography of the South Haven South Pierhead Light:

http://www.superstock.com/stock-photogr ... Lighthouse

Interesting fact: Did you know that there were more lighthouses along the Great Lakes than the rest of the US's coastlines combined? (This might still be true, actually; I should check.)
Last edited by Tanith on Wed Jul 21, '10, 4:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Xander » Wed Jul 21, '10, 7:50 am

Interesting fact. I'd never think a lake would be too hazardous, even in harsh weather. Though it may be down to the fact that the lakes were used for moving stuff around so much that in comparison to the coastal ports, the amount of traffic demanded more lighthouses. I'd hazard a guess there were maybe more ports in the lakes too.

I don't think there are any bodies who protect the lighthouses here. I've not been around the western coast much, but any I've seen are just left to the elements like a lot of the ruins that dot the land. Though we have more ruins and old buildings here than America does so it's kind of normal.

Either way though, it'd be nice to see some preservation work carried out on these lighthouses. While not a lot of them have much history about them, they don't build them anymore so when they're gone, they're gone.
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Return to Casual Conversation