New 2D Sonic Game

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

New 2D Sonic Game

Postby Thoul » Wed Sep 9, '09, 6:01 pm

Sega has decided to take a clue from Nintendo's New Super Mario Bros. with a new 2D Sonic the Hedgehog game. Check out the teaser trailer:

Do you think this will be a good improvement over the Sonic games of recent years?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: New 2D Sonic Game

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Sep 9, '09, 8:14 pm

I'm not really sure it's possible for 3-D Sonic games to get any worse. 3-D and Sonic have a history of not getting along very well, so I think 2-D is a step in the right direction. This game could be good IF it features SONIC and not him alongside his entourage of annoying, pointless neon-colored woodland denizens (can Shadow please die in a raging fire?) Outside Tails and Knuckles, I'd like most of the extraneous characters to disappear from gaming history. The game will also be good if the point is to run through the level as fast as you can without interruptions of being a werehog (seriously, what the heck?!) and long repetitive combat sequences. Time will tell, I guess.

As a side note on the werehog bit, in a Toys R Us this weekend, I found both a small plush doll and an action figure of Sonic the Werehog. I laughed soooooo hard...
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Tue Sep 15, '09, 4:54 pm

The Sonic universe has definitely gotten a little too crowded for my tastes. I can't keep up with it any more. There are what, three characters that started as "maybe evil Sonics" now: Knuckles, Shadow, and Metal Sonic? That's two too many.

The logo at the end of the video seems to have only one character in it, so hopefully this will be a Sonic solo game. If they really want to make it two player, I could see Tails or one of the others dropping in for that, but hopefully the focus will be on the main dude this time.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Snorb » Wed Sep 16, '09, 12:15 am

Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy can all be in this game, I'd buy it. If it had Espio, Mighty, Vector, and Charmy (hey, I'm not the only person who played Chaotix!), double points on that.

However! Shadow, Rogue, Cream, Big, Omega, Silver, Sonic the Werehog, and Blaze can all die in a grease fire.

That said, thank God there's finally gonna be another 2D Sonic game. ^_^
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby PathfinderCS » Thu Oct 8, '09, 11:33 pm

I don't have too many issues with the amount of characters in the Sonic universe to begin with, though I still await the return of Fang the Sniper (or Nack the Weasel, whatever you prefer). 8) Heck, I like characters like Blaze and Wave, but I will admit I do see the point of the critics.

3D Sonic can be good, but Sega almost always finds ways to mess it up. Sonic Heros was way too complicated and gimmicky, Sonic the Hodgehog was just too buggy and not well refined, and Sonic Unleashed...by gosh, they almost had something. The fast sections were fine, but the werehog?WEREHOG!? You serious!? :bang:

Ugh, I can really only name three good Sonic 3D games: Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2 (both for the Dreamcast), and Sonic and the Secret Rings. Granted, neither were perfect or as good as the 2D adventures, but are fine games by themselves.

Sega just needs to keep it simple. The next Sonic does not need to be Super Mario Galaxy. Mario was made for jumping. Sonic was made for running.

Please don't screw it up Sega...
"I'd say the sky's the limit!" - Spyro
PathfinderCS
Agent
Agent

Location: With the stars, sailing the blackness of the universe.
Achievements: 20

Return to General Gaming