Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: New 2D Sonic Game
PostPosted: Wed Sep 9, '09, 6:01 pm 
Sega has decided to take a clue from Nintendo's New Super Mario Bros. with a new 2D Sonic the Hedgehog game. Check out the teaser trailer:

Do you think this will be a good improvement over the Sonic games of recent years?

Post subject: Re: New 2D Sonic Game
PostPosted: Wed Sep 9, '09, 8:14 pm 
I'm not really sure it's possible for 3-D Sonic games to get any worse. 3-D and Sonic have a history of not getting along very well, so I think 2-D is a step in the right direction. This game could be good IF it features SONIC and not him alongside his entourage of annoying, pointless neon-colored woodland denizens (can Shadow please die in a raging fire?) Outside Tails and Knuckles, I'd like most of the extraneous characters to disappear from gaming history. The game will also be good if the point is to run through the level as fast as you can without interruptions of being a werehog (seriously, what the heck?!) and long repetitive combat sequences. Time will tell, I guess.

As a side note on the werehog bit, in a Toys R Us this weekend, I found both a small plush doll and an action figure of Sonic the Werehog. I laughed soooooo hard...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, '09, 4:54 pm 
The Sonic universe has definitely gotten a little too crowded for my tastes. I can't keep up with it any more. There are what, three characters that started as "maybe evil Sonics" now: Knuckles, Shadow, and Metal Sonic? That's two too many.

The logo at the end of the video seems to have only one character in it, so hopefully this will be a Sonic solo game. If they really want to make it two player, I could see Tails or one of the others dropping in for that, but hopefully the focus will be on the main dude this time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, '09, 12:15 am 
Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy can all be in this game, I'd buy it. If it had Espio, Mighty, Vector, and Charmy (hey, I'm not the only person who played Chaotix!), double points on that.

However! Shadow, Rogue, Cream, Big, Omega, Silver, Sonic the Werehog, and Blaze can all die in a grease fire.

That said, thank God there's finally gonna be another 2D Sonic game. ^_^

PostPosted: Thu Oct 8, '09, 11:33 pm 
I don't have too many issues with the amount of characters in the Sonic universe to begin with, though I still await the return of Fang the Sniper (or Nack the Weasel, whatever you prefer). 8) Heck, I like characters like Blaze and Wave, but I will admit I do see the point of the critics.

3D Sonic can be good, but Sega almost always finds ways to mess it up. Sonic Heros was way too complicated and gimmicky, Sonic the Hodgehog was just too buggy and not well refined, and Sonic Unleashed...by gosh, they almost had something. The fast sections were fine, but the werehog?WEREHOG!? You serious!? :bang:

Ugh, I can really only name three good Sonic 3D games: Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2 (both for the Dreamcast), and Sonic and the Secret Rings. Granted, neither were perfect or as good as the 2D adventures, but are fine games by themselves.

Sega just needs to keep it simple. The next Sonic does not need to be Super Mario Galaxy. Mario was made for jumping. Sonic was made for running.

Please don't screw it up Sega...

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]