NEO*GEO X

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

NEO*GEO X

Postby r3alP » Wed Aug 15, '12, 8:03 pm

Thought I would post this in here in case anyone had not heard. This is definitely geared to a small market, as the main consumer would be SNK fans. Either way, I think it is a great concept, and I would like to get a hands on preview of one. I will consider buying one, but I am not 100% sure at the moment. Either way, I have a few months to decide. Check it out:

http://neogeox.com/index.php?route=common/home
r3alP
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 20

Re: NEO*GEO X

Postby Thoul » Wed Aug 15, '12, 11:09 pm

Interesting. A bit pricey, but I suppose that's Neo Geo tradition. I wonder if it's going to play games other than the preloaded ones? If not, that's a big negative for it.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby MrKite » Thu Aug 16, '12, 5:09 am

Looks like a nice thing to own. But like Thoul said, too expensive, and if it doesn't let you add games other than the ones preloaded, then that's stupid.
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Postby myau56 » Thu Jan 3, '13, 10:33 pm

Ah yes I've read something about it : it was the review of the machine made by a french guy wha have just recieved this NeoGeoX and was highly disappointed ! :(
Apparently, in spite of its high price, there seems to have a lot of flaws....
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby tilinelson2 » Sat Jan 5, '13, 1:56 pm

People complain a lot about Vita, Wii U, PS3 prices, but this Neo*Geo X is too pricey for its value. Arguably, the best games are available in other medias.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby myau56 » Sat Jan 5, '13, 9:55 pm

And there is many other systems that can run all those NeoGeo/AES games so.. definitely, this machine doesn't seems to be worth the price you must pay to have it, unfortunately... :(
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Flames of Yagami » Sun Aug 18, '13, 8:44 am

I'd much rather get a real Neo-Geo, but I'm glad that at least some of the games aren't the ones that are always being rereleased: SNK usually loves to rerelease the games in each series in chronological order, and while there are some first entries, like Metal Slug 1, more recent games are there to balance things out (i.e. Real Bout Fatal Fury). At least with the fighting games, the first few titles in each SNK series are usually range from being mediocre to decent-at-best (mostly due to frustrating A.I., dated gameplay, and/or strict controls), so starting in order could possibly keep potential fans from becoming interested in trying out the sequels.

Apparently, they're starting to release the more recent games like Garou: Mark of the Wolves and The Last Blade, so at least SNK still seems to be supporting this handheld. For now, though, I'm sticking with my PS2/DC/Xbox ports and collections. But, to be honest, I might get one of those USB Neo-Geo X arcade sticks to make for a more authentic experience with MAME.
Last edited by Flames of Yagami on Sun Aug 18, '13, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 212

Return to Retro Roundup