Nei Weapons

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

Nei Weapons

Postby Tsunami » Thu Jun 21, '07, 5:02 am

In PSII, only the Nei Sword, Nei Shot, and Nei Slasher existed. PSIII had two extra ones, though; the Nei Claw and Nei Bow.

Here's my question. Is it possible that Rolf and the team could've boarded the Alisa III as it was leaving Palm? I mean, it may be far-fetched, but it's not entirely impossible since we don't know what happened to the group in the end. It might explain how the weapons ended up on the Alisa III, though it leaves a hole for the other two Nei weapons.

I'm also wondering about the Nei weapons themselves in PSIII. They obviously added two, the claw and the bow, but there's one little detail I don't really understand. Are all five weapons really needed to defeat Dark Force? It makes sense to some degree, but Laya and Orakio did it with just two.

It's a lot to think about, but when I try to make links and connections, there's always things that don't add up. :lol:
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Re: Nei Weapons

Postby Neithird » Thu Jun 21, '07, 5:12 am

I think it is a totally different set of Nei weapons in PS3. PS2 also had some non-weapon Nei stuff that PS3 doesn't have. Some of Rolf's group could certainly have gotten to Alisa III. They'd have to go to Lutz first to hand over the Aero prism, but surely Lutz could teleport them to the ship.

It makes sense to some degree, but Laya and Orakio did it with just two.

Did they? If it was just the two of them, how did Laya's bow get back to younger Laya? :idea: They must have had some more help - maybe Miun.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Tsunami » Thu Jun 21, '07, 5:49 am

Neithird wrote:I think it is a totally different set of Nei weapons in PS3. PS2 also had some non-weapon Nei stuff that PS3 doesn't have. Some of Rolf's group could certainly have gotten to Alisa III. They'd have to go to Lutz first to hand over the Aero prism, but surely Lutz could teleport them to the ship.

That's true. Still, I thought it was odd that the Nei weapons appear in PSIII and not PSIV.

It makes sense to some degree, but Laya and Orakio did it with just two.

Did they? If it was just the two of them, how did Laya's bow get back to younger Laya? :idea: They must have had some more help - maybe Miun.

I knew I forgot something. :p Well, Laya died with Orakio, at least?

I've thought about Miun helping them as well, would partly explain the shape she's in when you find her. All those years of wandering in the desert could've had some impact as well.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Postby Fogeltje » Thu Jun 21, '07, 9:35 am

I don't think the Nei weapons of PSIII are the same as the PSII weapons. In PSII you find the weapons as Nei items. In PSIII you have to take other weapons (Orakio's Sword, Miun's Claw, Laya's Bow, Siren's Gun and Lune's Slicer) to Skyhaven I think (can't remember the name of the place) and have them blessed to become Nei weapons, so that tells me they are not the Nei weapons from PSII.
"Rolf, there's no hope for me. If Neifirst is dead, I must die, too."
And in so saying, Nei silently closed her eyes.
Fogeltje
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 40

Postby Rune Sa Riik » Thu Jun 21, '07, 12:16 pm

Tsunami wrote:That's true. Still, I thought it was odd that the Nei weapons appear in PSIII and not PSIV.

Well, one Nei weapon appears in PSIV. It is Nei Sword which is actually Laconian Sword of Alisa and Elsydeon of Chaz. Just look at this scan from PSII manual Image This is Nei sword and it looks similar to the Elsydeon :)

And about Nei weapons on Alisa III... :idea: Elders in the cave of Sage in world of Aquatica said that Nei is the word of last power. So, in Alisa III Nei has different meaning than in Algo because in Algo Nei means "human who was not a human" or something like that. So, in PSII and PSIII we have different sets of weapons :)
Please, excuse my terrible grammar! =)
Rune Sa Riik
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 2

Postby Tsunami » Thu Jun 21, '07, 1:40 pm

Rune Sa Riik wrote:
Tsunami wrote:That's true. Still, I thought it was odd that the Nei weapons appear in PSIII and not PSIV.

Well, one Nei weapon appears in PSIV. It is Nei Sword which is actually Laconian Sword of Alisa and Elsydeon of Chaz. Just look at this scan from PSII manual Image This is Nei sword and it looks similar to the Elsydeon :)

And about Nei weapons on Alisa III... :idea: Elders in the cave of Sage in world of Aquatica said that Nei is the word of last power. So, in Alisa III Nei has different meaning than in Algo because in Algo Nei means "human who was not a human" or something like that. So, in PSII and PSIII we have different sets of weapons :)

Thanks for clearing that up for me. :) For the longest time I didn't get why there's Nei weapons all over in PSII and PSIII, but didn't notice anything in PSIV. :lol: (I don't have any game manuals either, so...)
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Postby Fogeltje » Thu Jun 21, '07, 2:29 pm

Rune Sa Riik wrote:

I still doubt that the Nei weapons of PSII were named after the character Nei. Those weapons seem to be quite old, long before Nei was created. I think Nei was ancient word of power in PSII era as well and also being the name of Nei in the meaning "human who is not human."
"Rolf, there's no hope for me. If Neifirst is dead, I must die, too."
And in so saying, Nei silently closed her eyes.
Fogeltje
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 40

Postby Thoul » Thu Jun 21, '07, 6:36 pm

I never believed that connection between the Elsydeon, Nei Sword, and Alis' sword. That would be a pretty strong connection between the games; I think it would have been mentioned in game.

According to the PS Compendium translation PSII's Nei stuff was created by the Espers. If anyone would know an ancient word of power like PSIII's Nei, it would be Lutz. The guys on Sage Isle and Skyhaven seem like Espers to me, as well.

Are all five weapons really needed to defeat Dark Force? It makes sense to some degree, but Laya and Orakio did it with just two.

I always thought they used all five weapons in the battle. The impression I got when I first played the game was that Orakio, Laya, Siren, Miun, and Lune all went against DF (five of them to match the five heroes we have at the end of the game). The weapons are called legendary - what's more legendary than whipping Dark Force?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby The $ Avenger » Fri Jun 22, '07, 2:06 am

I'd say the PSIII Nei Weapons are different ones. I suppose Lutz could warp the PSII party aboard the Alisa III and have them leave the weapons there, but why would he? Lutz would probably want them to stay in Algo for the next 1,000 year appearance of DF.

Fogeltje wrote:I still doubt that the Nei weapons of PSII were named after the character Nei. Those weapons seem to be quite old, long before Nei was created. I think Nei was ancient word of power in PSII era as well and also being the name of Nei in the meaning "human who is not human."

Yeah, I puzzled over that when I first played PSII. Nei is what, a year and a half old or so? Why would Lutz or Espers, as Thoul cited, create these weapons and then hide them away within a year and a half of needing them? (This makes one wonder why they created and hid them at all :hmm: ) I'd think they would keep them in the mansion if the weapons were created that recently. I instead think that they were created long before the current characters were alive, applying the definition of Nei as power in Algo too.
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Tsunami » Fri Jun 22, '07, 11:41 pm

So it's agreeable that it's a completely different set, from what I'm gathering here. Thanks for everyone's input, I really appreciate it. :mrgreen:

I needed some input for an idea I'm working on. When it comes to references to the other games, I can't say that I've paid that much attention to them :lol:
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Next

Return to Classic Series