Music in Dezorian Towns in PSII

Discover the secret of Mother Brain's technological advanced world.

Music in Dezorian Towns in PSII

Postby The $ Avenger » Thu Oct 11, '07, 12:48 am

What did you all think of the music in the towns on Dezoris in PSII? It sounds like there's an entire band fired up! It's quite the contrast to the towns on Motavia, for sure. Did you find it appropriate or inappropriate? I have my own thoughts on it, but I'll reserve them for the moment. :sing:
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Thoul » Thu Oct 11, '07, 9:05 am

To be honest, I didn't notice. I rarely notice the music in a game, because I'm more intent on completing some goal. I've begun to become more aware of the music lately, but I haven't played PSII since then.

If the music in the Dezo towns is more... robust, I guess is a good word, than that of Mota, that makes sense to me. Mota is more restricted by Mother Brain and has less freedom. Reflecting that by expanding the range of the music on Dezo feels right.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Shinuzzo » Thu Oct 11, '07, 9:48 am

I always thought "Death Place" was way too up-beat for a regular boss theme for Neifirst and Dark Force. I can understand there was limited memory but I would have certainly changed it Generation 2.
It works better as a final battle song for Mother Brain.
Shinuzzo
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 25

Postby Tsunami » Thu Oct 11, '07, 6:47 pm

I liked the Dezorian town theme -- it fit just fine, in my opinion. :) I also liked most of PSII's music...except for the overworld and town themes of Motavia, they were just too upbeat for me.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby The $ Avenger » Fri Oct 12, '07, 2:16 am

Shinuzzo wrote:It works better as a final battle song for Mother Brain.
I agree. I want some tense but triumphant music, but I would have liked some different boss themes, like how PSIV had a different one for Zio.

Thoul wrote:If the music in the Dezo towns is more... robust, I guess is a good word, than that of Mota, that makes sense to me. Mota is more restricted by Mother Brain and has less freedom. Reflecting that by expanding the range of the music on Dezo feels right.
That's exactly what I was getting at. :wink:

Tsunami wrote:I liked the Dezorian town theme -- it fit just fine, in my opinion. :) I also liked most of PSII's music...except for the overworld and town themes of Motavia, they were just too upbeat for me.
Ditto. :)

I put this topic out as a test, as I've read that people detect the same content in music, but their' interpretation, (I like it, I don't like it) is what differs. Interesting.

I like the town and overworld music in the towns and on Motavia, but I think they're inappropriate now due to the totalitarian control of the planet.

On the other hand, I think the music of Dezoris is very appropriate for the mystery of hidden dungeons and Lutz.

But the music of the Dezorian towns sounds more than happy, it's thrilled, jubilant, robust :wink: . There's a band going in full force, and as Thoul said, Dezoris doesn't have any control towers, is freer, and thus happier. Several Dezorians even openly state their dislike of MB, (though they're a bunch of racists...). When I was a kid, I found the Dezorian town music to be out of place, but in decoding the entire script and recognizing the underlying themes of the game, I find it completely appropriate. I think the Dezorian town music is the sound of freedom. :sing:
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Return to Phantasy Star II