National School Walkout

Chat about things happening around the world.

National School Walkout

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Mar 14, '18, 11:47 pm

Students at many schools today were participating in a National School Walkout:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-gene ... cid=AARDHP

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: National School Walkout

Postby myau56 » Thu Mar 15, '18, 12:51 pm

I have heard about it : it's a great thing ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Mar 17, '18, 1:29 am

I think for the most part the walkout went over fairly well. However, I have seen some news stories where in some places people were disruptive and caused damage to some stores and other places. That should not be allowed. And, I think that is the problem sometimes with people expressing their freedoms and protesting, etc., is when they go overboard and become destructive to other people, places, or things. Sad, and totally destructive to their own cause.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Mar 18, '18, 5:53 pm

There are always some bad apples with something like this who go overboard and do things that aren't with the spirit of the thing. But the question is always...do we take away those freedoms just because of a few bad apples?
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Mar 18, '18, 6:40 pm

Wolf Bird wrote:There are always some bad apples with something like this who go overboard and do things that aren't with the spirit of the thing. But the question is always...do we take away those freedoms just because of a few bad apples?

In my own opinion, No, we certainly do not take away the freedoms of others because of a few who acted badly. I do think those that acted badly should be punished to the full extent of the law though and not get a free card to do whatever they want when they have exhibited destructive behavior. And it might possibly set an example to others that things like this should be done in an orderly fashion. Many times the destructive behavior affects people who had absolutely nothing to do with the issue whatsoever but yet they are punished or made to suffer the consequences of other peoples actions.

However, it also seems to me that peoples freedoms are in danger of being taken away almost on a daily basis because someone else may disagree with them or have a different viewpoint on a subject. I can think of a few examples as I type this but won't go into it heavily right now. Some current issues come to mind though such as gun control, immigration, etc.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby myau56 » Mon Mar 19, '18, 1:01 pm

True that there are always some bad persons with bad behaviors in all those walkouts and that is a shame ! :( But what can we do against that ?
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Mar 19, '18, 7:35 pm

Well, I'm pretty convinced don't solve the problem by taking away the freedom altogether. Because when you do it that way, you create a different problem. And for me being politically left...that does include guns, and in no way do I think gun ownership in general should be banned just because of a relatively few bad apples. IMO, we need more sensible regulations (and regulations does not mean a ban, it means regulation) on guns, and in cases like this, bad apples who use a well intended event like this to act out absolutely should be persecuted as the law allows like Silver said, likely for trespassing and damaging public and private properly.

I might be left, but keep in mind I grew up in rural Pennsylvania where a lot of people were into target shooting and hunting. And plenty of other countries do allow their citizens to own firearms, but do so without the problems we have.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Mon Mar 19, '18, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Return to Current Events